Friday, January 31, 2020

Trader Joe's Kale Gnocchi

Yes. I am one of those people that actually likes kale.

It's been around for a while since it's a leafy green of the mustard family (and I like mustard, so...). There are various strains - of which I've tried whatever I can get my hands on at stores - but overall, I enjoy kale.

I've mixed it in smoothies, in salads, in pasta... and Whole Foods has brought back Garlicky Kale! Color me ECSTATIC!

Back to the star of this post...

I surf a lot of YouTube as well as watch videos from people I subscribe to.

With that said, this is where I heard/saw Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi. I kept meaning to go and get some but work and life kept getting in the way so I didn't get any until recently. When I found the cauliflower gnocchi, next to it was the kale gnocchi.

I got both.

One night for dinner I decided to make some gnocchi. I had originally intended to grab the cauliflower bag since it was the first one I knew about, but I ended up grabbing the kale instead.

The directions are quite simple - you can choose from the saute or boiling water method. I sauteed since I was hungry.

When I opened the bag, the gnocchi looked like little green tater tots to me. Also, there was no pasta-type covering. (Being a fan of pasta - my favorite being tortellini - I was expecting either a pasta outer shell of some kind or maybe some faux, veggie version. The ingredients on the back list as: kale, potato starch, chickpea flour, sea salt, and extra virgin olive oil. [May contain soy.]) I'm guessing it's the flour that helped bind everything together into their tater tot form.

The sauteeing directions were to heat a couple tablespoons of butter, oil or ghee (I have yet to work with ghee. Anyone use ghee? What's it like?) over medium heat, add the gnocchi, heat for 7-10 minutes, and season to taste.

I made my gnocchi with Trader Joe's seasoning - perhaps a little 21 Seasoning Salute and Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend - as well as some sweet chili sauce and some shredded cheese. (And yes, it may have been an odd blend of flavors, but it was yummy and made me and my tummy happy.)

One 12oz bag contains about 2.5 servings... leaving on serving to be a cup. (Yeah - I ate the whole bag. I hadn't really eaten that day, but I don't really need to justify this to anyone so... there's that.)

Did I like it? Hell, I went back and got two more bags!

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/kale-gnocchi

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: