Friday, January 3, 2020

Selma's Peppermint Stick Rice Crispy Treat

I LOVE RICE CRISPY TREATS!!!

I love me some rice crispy treats. All kinds. ALL KINDS.

When I was first introduced to these lovely treats, they were only made with the actual Rice Crispies cereal. Never having made any myself but eaten my fair share, I believe the preparation for the treats only consists of the cereal, butter, and marshmallow.

When I was little, they only had them in the basic small size, roughly the size of maybe a standard brownie, but then of course as time went on and food sizes have increased, now rice crispy treats are the size of bricks. (Now I'm not mad at this fact, but sometimes I look at a treat and think DAMN!)

I also remember thinking as a child why they never tried to make these treats with Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles cereal since they were essentially the same rice cereal consistency. Eventually, I saw treats made with these and other cereals - and I've had most of those I think, but right now, we're talking about the original plain rice cereal.

So I will admit that these treats are a sometimes food - especially now since they've grown in size equal to that of a third of your face, but I digress. With that said, when I saw this treat while holiday shopping, I snatched it up really quick. I think there were other flavors, but the peppermint one caught my eyes, and it was the holidays so... why not?

The treat even in the packaging feels pretty standard - sturdy with a little squish factor. When opening the package, you're hit with sugar and a dash of peppermint. The treat is mostly marshmallow treat with a layer of peppermint bark on top, so the marshmallow factor (at least the scent) overpowers the peppermint. The peppermint bark layer on top looks just like that - a white layer with crumbled candy cane chunks all throughout though they're thoroughly smashed which I like since bigger pieces could cause small candy shards poking your mouth and who wants that?

Now, the treat is WAY too large to get a full bite, so since the peppermint is only on the top, I tried to take a big bite out of a top corner - and DAMN!!! That is some PEPP-ER-MINT!!! The layer only is on the top, very thin but sugary and powerful enough to leave a flavor impact. Taking a bite out of just the treat brings me to my happy place. Oh the sweet scent of crispy treat nostalgia

The package says it's 6oz and a serving size is 1/4 of the treat - so there are four servings in one whole treat. Okay, really? I think that's a little excessive. As much as I love the bigger sized treats - which to be honest feels like it can be a whole meal - why make them so big? Can't you make a 6oz treat in one package?

In any case, I ate a bit and then bagged and saved the rest for a later time. (And to be honest - I ate maybe a third of it, or perhaps a little less than third, but I'm rounding up.)

All in all, it's good. I'm happy with a regular rice crispy treat, but the flavored ones so far haven't disappointed which makes me happy - and the peppermint one is definitely a WIN!

https://selmas.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: