Friday, January 24, 2020

Coca-Cola Energy

The things you find at an Asian Market... and later see at Target. LOL!

While at one of the main Asian markets I go to - though not often since it's an Asian shopping center, and parking is always chaotic and ridiculous - I thought about getting a drink that I could sip while out on the rest of my errands. I had bought all the main things I had gone there for that I could find, and when looking for a drink, I found in the midst of all the more Asian branded/type drinks, I saw the bright familiar red can. I knew right away it was a Coke product, but then they also had a sign saying it was a limited item, etc.

Coca-Cola Energy Drink. The tagline from the can? The only energy drink with a great Coca-Cola taste. (Catchy, eh?) And it also says "high caffeine - guarana extract - B vitamins.

The can size is about the same as the average can of Red Bull (8oz).

At the Asian market, there was a sign showing limited stock - a "get it while you can" kind of thing. Not sure if the advertising was to get people to buy them or quite literally they didn't have a lot and possibly weren't going to get anymore.

When at Target recently, I saw the same can as well as a few other flavor options.

So one weekend after having purchased this can I thought "Why not?" and drank it while getting ready to leave home and run errands. And it tasted... like Coke. Okay, it tasted like Coke but with that energy drink aftertaste.

Now, I have had a lot of energy drinks in my time. I used to be a Mountain Dew Amp girl... then transitioned to Red Bull... and now I'm a toss-up between a Rockstar or "bang" girl. (Reading that last bit activated my "that reads/sounds wrong" alert, but that is the brand name so I'm leaving it.

I've tried many brands and flavors and types. I even have tried the little energy shots. All in all, I'm familiar with the energy drink flavor profile. It would be nice if companies could make an energy drink not taste like an energy drink, but it is what it is. You get used to it. Like now - I'm a diet soda drinker. Mainly because I'm not a picky eater by trade so I'm more than willing to accommodate friends that have dietary preferences, etc, and some of my close homies drank diet. But when drinking soda, you can totally taste the difference between regular and diet... but after drinking it for a while, you start to not care or notice anymore.

I'm like that with energy drinks (though the "bang" brand tastes REALLY sweet to me - more so than any other non-diet energy drink out there). So I noticed that flavor in this one by Coke. I've had cola-flavored energy drinks before, but this one has he distinct Coca-Cola taste... plus the energy drink taste.

I remember as a kid back in the day of the Pepsi versus Coke soda war, I was a Coke girl. (To be completely honest, I started as an RC Cola girl, but you can't find Royal Crown anymore. Not on the regular at least. I usually find them randomly at a liquor store or whatever and always get one for nostalgia's sake.) But I always like Coke a little more than Pepsi - especially back then - due to the advertising. From what I can recall, Coke was just... Coke. It had its ads, and basically was like "Hey, drink our soda if you want." But Pepsi did the politician thing and seemed to always insult or make fun of Coke in their ads which annoyed me. (I don't like bullies or assholes.) Plus, Pepsi was too sweet. Coke was just right. You know, like Baby Bear's porridge.

In the end, I finished off the can and wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'm just immune to energy drinks. In general, they all taste the same to me. Mountain Dew's AMP tastes different since Mountain Dew has its own flavor.

Coca-Cola Energy is not bad or good. It's just one of the many.

https://us.coca-cola.com/energy/
https://us.coca-cola.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: