Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Combos Stuffed Snacks - Honey Sriracha Baked Pretzel

For every road trip, I stop by a gas station with a decent mini-mart and grab some drinks and snacks for the road as I fill the tank.

The recent holidays were no exception.

Usually, I grab some of the usual things I know I'll enjoy, but I usually end up grabbing one thing I haven't tried before just to try.

Enter "Honey Sriracha Combos."

I'm not the best when it comes to heat. Back in the day, I wasn't able to eat anything with any modicum of spice, but as I got older, cravings changed, and during "powerloss" I started to crave spicy food. Now - not SPICY like the devil's ass or something, but spicy enough. (I remember hitting the local Del Taco and getting an order of deep-fried jalapeno slices with ranch dressing. I would get pretty far into finishing them and then either reach my limit or be full.)

My spice-tolerance has been PRETTY random. Like there are things that I never thought I'd be able to tolerate but end up enjoying. Or things friends can't eat because they think it's too spicy, and I think it's just fine. Or the worst is that I taste something and the first bite is fine, but I think it's so tasty, I eat it too fast and eventually the spice peaks catch up with each other and then it's wave after wave after wave... well, you get the idea.

Case in point - these combos.

Sriracha is a sauce that I eat, and I like, but I prefer it mixed with sour cream to make a nice orange sauce. It just spreads out the flavor better for me. When I saw these snacks at the convenience store over the holidays, I thought "Why not?" since it's honey AND sriracha. What's the worse that could happen?

The smell of the combos is salty to me, but I definitely get the spice hint here and there.

The tiny Vienna sausages of the chip world (described so by me due to their shape and crunch factor) look like your standard Combo - in this case, mini pretzel tubes filled with cheese with a faint dusting of sriracha-colored powder within the cheese.

Immediately I can taste the spice factor of this snack, but it's not too bad, and I can also taste the honey which is nice. You get the salt first, then the spice, and then the honey.

But here's my mishap - since the heat wasn't too bad after one, I started eating them at a faster pace than I usually do. There's small so it's easy to grab a few and shove them in your face (kinda like popcorn), but then the heat of each dose to my mouth has an eventual heat that hits, and shoving them in my mouth at such a fast rate, those hits build one after the other until they eventually all meet up to say "You really should have slowed down a bit, dear."

I'm not saying the heat was overwhelming, but it made me pause and sip my ginger ale.

Overall for me, the taste was okay but not my favorite - I'd probably prefer them in a Chex Mix situation with a few flavors mixed into together so then when I grab a few to eat, I get a mish-mash of a few flavors and not just the sriracha one, and I won't be overwhelmed (in a sense) by the build-up of spice.

The bag is 6.3oz with 130 calories per serving. And guess how many servings the bag says there are in it.

Go ahead - guess. I'll wait.

[insert Jeopardy theme here]

6. Really, Combos? 6? That's like... 1oz per serving. WTF with the portions, yo?

That's it. I'm done.

https://combos.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: