Monday, February 3, 2020

Trader Joe's Creamy Polenta (with Spinach & Carrots)

The first time I had polenta was at Chevy's. They had them as a side with their plates. The polenta was this corn mash that still had corn kernels in it. And it was lightly sweet.

[That random factoid about how corn doesn't break down in your stomach just came to mind. Does that apply to the mashed stuff, too? Or is it just kernels?]

Okay - back to the creamy polenta.

When I went to Trader Joe's to get something else, I found this as well, and since I like polenta (and haven't had much luck with a couple other kinds/brands), I thought I'd give this one a try.

The bag gives you the option to cook the contents either in a microwave or saucepan. (I chose saucepan.)

The bag itself feels relatively light, and when I poured the contents into the pan, the carrots looked like carrots and the spinach looked like spinach, but the polenta... looked like meringue cookies. They were like little dollops of whipped cream with stiff peaks. (Yeah, I watch a lot of cooking shows.)

I cooked the polenta as the package said to - for about five to seven minutes - and after a few minutes, the little "meringue-like" polenta pieces started to soften, and then everything started mixing together. This time I only ate about half of the polenta and save the rest for later. The first taste was just perfect - I think however they seasoned it was just fine since all I added was a bit of was salt and pepper. It's light and tasty and pleasantly filling. Later I had the leftovers with a couple fried eggs on top. Not bad at all.

I liked it so much, I went back to the store to get more.

The bag is 16oz. It says that a serving size is one cup, and there are about three servings in this bag. (Isn't one cup equal to eight ounces?)

I can't find this polenta on the Trader Joe's website so it's either being discontinued or their site person hasn't put it up... so I just added the store's website to this post.

https://www.traderjoes.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: