Monday, January 20, 2020

Calbee Baked Shrimp Chips - Yuzu and Black Pepper

The first time I had shrimp chips was back during my single-digit years. I even remember having them at school as part of my lunch when my mom forgot to send me off with my lunchbox. Back then I didn't realize it was an Asian thing - meaning something found mostly if not exclusively in Asian stores. I just thought it was something I had from time to time - just like potato chips.

Also back then I didn't really fully realize I was Asian. I just thought I was a kid... going to school... eating (mostly) whatever my mother put on my plate.

I never bought the chips myself. Usually, my mother or my aunt had them, and back then there was only one flavor... at least one that anyone ever gave me.

But now as an adult, there is not only more than one flavor but many brands of shrimp chips. I've tried other types - there was one that looks like puffed chicharrones - but I guess you can say I'm a Calbee girl at heart. I've also tried another Calbee flavor - Hot Garlic - which I'm blogged about back in 2014. (So yeah, I revisit my beloved Shrimp Chips often.)

They have since changed the packaging - the original having some kind of red and white gingham pattern as a border to the bag - but they've modernized the packaging since then (though the Calbee logo is still quite the same).

I saw these at an Asian Market I go to, and felt like snacking on something and found shrimp chips which I naturally gravitated toward. I wanted something light and would tide me over during the rest of my errands since I knew I'd be cooking dinner when I got home. I had naturally assumed that they were the original flavor but nope - to my surprise, the only flavor they had was Yuzu and Black Pepper.

Initially, I thought the combo was odd, but then I realized it wasn't. Yuzu is lemon, and I love lemon pepper tuna or chicken. I think I've even had it as a kind of soup. I think it was the yuzu that confused me, but when I remembered what yuzu was, I was fine. LOL.

I opened the bag when I got back to my car, and all I could smell was the pepper. I didn't get any of the lemon by scent, but I did get it when I ate it. The black pepper (and some salt) is what stands out, and then you get the lemon as more of an aftertaste. I basically ate them like I do fries (which is convenient since they're a chip that is shaped like a fry) - I started off with one trying to be good, but then I would grab two or more and shove them in my mouth as I drove.

I finished the bag when I got to Target.

The bag is 3.3oz, and according to the bag, there are 140 calories per serving... and the bag has three servings. (Who makes these portions? Chip bags are never filled to capacity so the amount in the bag that can comfortably feed 3-4 people usually will say something as silly - like a single portion is two chips. And if that were true, you'd be able to feed a whole classroom full of people.)

Can you tell I have an issue with portion notations on food? They just seem so strange. I mean, take candy - those portions are unrealistic.

In any case, I love shrimp chips and will continue to eat them as they continue to make them. But they are a sometimes food. In reality, I think I have some once every few months.

I wonder what other flavors they'll come out with.

https://calbeena.com/
https://calbeena.com/shrimp-chips/
https://calbeena.com/shrimp-chips-nutrition-facts/#yuzu-black-pepper

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: