Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Hungry Buddha - Coconut Jerky (Teriyaki)

I'm of the mind that in most food situations, if an item is made up of things that I like individually, then together, I will most likely like it.

So by that rationale, this item would be perfect. I mean... I love coconut. I love jerky.

When I opened the bag, the smell was... interesting. I think it was more faint teriyaki than coconut, but it wasn't strong or anything so it didn't bother me much.

The look of the coconut jerky reminds me of the pig ears or bone treats you give dogs to chew and gnaw for dental health. The pieces are dark brown and appear to be hard... and some of the pieces are but once you break off a piece, you can chew it. In comparison to coconut chips, they are considerably larger in size. I guess the best size description I can think of is if you've ever had dried fruit slices like pineapple rings or apples. They're roughly that size.

The flavor is not jerky. I say that here because most of the time when I try something that claims to be one thing but an alternate version of that, the flavor profile is roughly similar to the original item. Case in point, I've had beef jerky since I was little, and all the brands basically taste the same even if one brand has a leaner cut and another a thicker cut. I've also had other meat types of jerky - turkey, fish, etc. And they all taste and feel like "jerky."

Now perhaps it's because this is a fruit and not a meat that this rule doesn't seem to apply. With that said, this is in no way (in my opinion) jerky-ish at all. The texture is off, but then again, it's coconut so the process could obviously affect the end result. The flavor profile is off for me as well. I can taste a little bit of both coconut and teriyaki, but those two components mixed together with the other seasonings are just not making my palate very happy.

The bag is 1.4oz - with one serving being half the bag (90 calories per serving).

I'm open to trying other coconut jerky types/brands or other coconut jerky flavors by this brand, but this particular flavor wasn't happymaking for me at all.

https://www.buddhabrandscompany.com/hungry-buddha/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: