Monday, January 6, 2020

Sinbad Specialty Foods - Roasted Beet Hummus

I think the first time I had hummus was after college. And since then, I was hooked.

My favorite hummus is garlic - though any ol' hummus will do. My hummus love is not biased at all.

Sometime after my initial taste of hummus, I found some edamame hummus during a late-night grocery run, and I was intrigued. I love edamame, and it looked appealing, and my curiosity getting the better of me, I bought it. And guess what? IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!

Since then I've noticed a variety of hummuses not made with chickpeas, and I've liked them all. (Once I brought up in conversation with a friend if you made hummus and replaced the chickpeas with something else, would you still call it "hummus". They said no since hummus is made with chickpeas. I had used milk as an example since we have non-dairy milk but they still say "milk" - like almond milk, oat milk, etc - but nope, my friend didn't budge on the hummus-name-thing. Me, however, I'm fine with calling it hummus - chickpeas or no.

Recently while at a grocery store, I saw some hummus in their deli cold case. All of them were hummus color - until I saw a vibrant pink one - Roasted Beet Hummus.

SOLD!

To be honest, I'm not the biggest beet fan. I know people that will have it solo - roasted or however they wish to cook it - but I'm not a fan. I do like shredded beet in salads, but a la carte? I'll pass.

But still - this was HUMMUS!!! So I was open to trying it.

Looking at the label when I got home, the first ingredient listed is chickpeas (the edamame hummus I had before didn't have chickpeas in them), so that was a surprise.

Ingredients: Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas), Roasted Beets, Tahini, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Sea Salt.

Perhaps it's a consistency thing? Or a preference? Both chickpeas and edamame are "beans" - but I'm not going to think that much into it.

I can smell the garlic right away, and the consistency is of your standard hummus variety. But the taste? It's pretty good. I didn't really think I was going to like it one way or the other, but this turns out to be another way for me to eat some beets.

The package is 6oz, and doesn't offer any nutritional information, but the label states that it's vegan and gluten-free... and all the ingredients seem okay, so I could finish off the whole container if I so chose to... but I think I'll be a good girl and save some for later.

Okay, I'll leave here with a question: If YOU made hummus and replaced the chickpeas with something else, would you still call it "hummus"?

https://sinbadspecialtyfoods.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: