Monday, February 24, 2020

Garoto Chocolate Bon Bon Assortment

I like to go to Cost Plus World Market. They have lots of neat things. I've gotten some gifts for friends and family there.

For me?

I usually go home with a number of items from the food and drink area. And I usually leave with more than I really should.

I live alone for frak sakes. Me? In an apartment full of snacks and booze? Gee, what could possibly go wrong?

One of the things that caught my eye was a little box of chocolates, and just like Forrest Gump's Mama always said - you never know what you're gonna get.

To be fair, I've rarely met a chocolate I didn't like or at least was okay enough to chew and not spit out - so this assortment had that going for them at least. I do remember thinking the coloring of the box made me think of Charleston Chew - but when I eventually opened the box up, I then thought this would be candy I'd have grabbed from a cracked open pinata. (And yes, I've been to many a party with many a pinata so I'm speaking from experience.

Without further ado - the chocolates!

In order of how they appear on the back of the box.
Baton Extra Milk (Extra Milk)
The packaging of this chocolate reminds me of a small pack of Smarties or Rolaids, but when I unwrapped it, it was a solid tiny rolling pin of chocolate. When I bit into it, the insides look like there was some white chocolate in there.

It looked and smelled like sweet milk chocolate.

Baton AO Leite (Milk)
Wrapped the same as the previous "baton" but when I bit into this one, it was all chocolate though a darker milk chocolate than the first one.

Opereta Creme (Cashew Nut)
This one was wrapped like a Hershey Nugget. It looked and smelled like white chocolate. It tasted fine, but I didn't really taste any cashew nut... which was disappointing since I love cashews.

Pacoca (Peanut Butter)
This candy was packed like a pull/twist hard candy... or Tootsie Roll. The chocolate itself looked like a mini-Butterfinger. The bite was soft and definitely tasted like peanut butter and also had a strong peanut butter scent. 

Caribe (Banana)
This was the same twist-type packaging and look like the previous candy. The smell was faintly of banana, but the taste was VERY banana. It also had the color of over-ripe bananas and was chewy like molasses.

Talente Duo Caramelo Salgado (50% Cocoa & Salted Caramel)
This one was packaged like a Ghiradelli chocolate square but a little smaller. It smelled sweet like chocolate, and I could taste the cocoa and caramel. It also had a bit of crunch to it.

It Coco (Coconut)
This was another twist candy that unwrapped looked like a mini Butterfinger. Ohhh, I could smell the coconut - which made me happy - but it was denser in texture than an Almond Joy or Mounds bar. Tasty!

AO Leite (28% cocoa)
This was another Hershey nugget size candy. It definitely smelled like chocolate - a little deeper than milk chocolate but softer than a dark chocolate. The initial bite is a bit hard, but after a while, it gets chewy as you chew it. 

Crocante (Peanut Crunch)
Another Tootsie roll wrap-type. Also mini Butterfinger size. This one had the crunch consistency in the ballpark of an actual Butterfinger though it leaned a little toward a peanut brittle consistency - like if a Butterfinger and peanut brittle had a baby

Talento Duo Maracuja (50% Cocoa & Passion Fruit)
This last one is packaged like a smaller Ghiradelli square, but the top layer smelled lovely and quite "passion-fruity." I could smell more chocolate than fruit, and the fruity top half looked more like milk chocolate with black dots in it (most likely the passionfruit seeds). The fruit flavor wasn't bitter but significantly different from the other chocolates.

1 box is 10.5oz, and the infamous "they" say a serving is 2 pieces (which results in 11 servings per box).

Overall, not a bad box of chocolate. My favorites would be (in order they were reviewed): Pacoca (Peanut Butter), Caribe (Banana), Talente Duo Caramelo Salgado (50% Cocoa & Salted Caramel), It Coco (Coconut), and Crocante (Peanut Crunch),

The rest can tie for second place.

I think I'd much prefer a bulk bin I can grab my preferred flavors from as opposed to getting a box and only eating perhaps half the chocolates in said box. But overall - not a disappointing box of chocolates.


Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: