Friday, December 27, 2019

Torie & Howard Chewie Fruities

While at Whole Foods one day, I started to crave something sweet. Normally I lean toward sour gummies or mochi or maybe even something from a bakery, but being at Whole Foods - I had to make do.

So in the candy aisle, I found some fruit chews that piqued some interest. And now... in no particular order...


Meyer Lemon & Raspberry

I didn't really start appreciating lemon until I was older... at least double-digits. The most lemon I ever had at the time was either lemonade or lemon on my fish for dinner. In elementary/junior high, I had Lemonheads (aka SUGAR) and then later on lemon pastries and assorted desserts.

My appreciation for lemon treats only grew from there.

And from there we go here, and right off the bat, the candies (all flavors) remind me of Starburst or Mamba. (I was more of a Starburst kid than Mamba, but if you put a Mamba candy in front of me, I wouldn't say no.)

Unwrapping one, the Meyer lemon scent was strong (not too strong but strong enough to make me smile), and it was a genuine lemon smell - all naturally sweet and lovely.

With the package being yellow, and my mind focusing on the "lemon" part, I had thought the chews themselves would be yellow, but they had a pinky hue to them - which makes sense since they have raspberry in them, too.

The flavor is not overly sweet - just sweet enough. And they are a little hard to chew at first but start to soften after a while.

Blood Orange & Honey

I can't remember the first time I had a blood orange, but I do remember thinking they looked really cool when I saw one cut open and immediately wanted to try it. They taste MUCH different than regular oranges and have since embraced them in desserts, drinks, and other assorted consumable treats.

To be honest, I had only intended on getting one pack of chews, but then when I saw "blood orange" - I wanted that one, too, so I ended up getting all three since... well... why not?

This flavor really had no scent at all - at least to me.

These chews were light orange in color.

The flavor was noticeably orange, and I could taste the honey which was lovely.

And yes - they were also hard to chew but softened quickly.

Pomegranate & Nectarine

This was the main flavor I wanted to get. I love practically everything pomegranate - ever since I heard the mythology store of Persephone and Hades... and then got to have one? Yes, the fruit is a lot of work, but I still love the fruit and the flavor.

The color was oddly similar to the blood orange chew which I thought off since pomegranates are a deep red, and even though the blood orange fruit is technically a dark, reddish-orange, it was still technically orange.

And the smell? I smelled mostly nectarine and nothing really of the pomegranate - which was a little depressing.

The flavor was good though - I definitely could taste both flavors, one not really overpowering the other.
*******
A serving size is one whole package -which is 2.1oz (59.5g)... and 238 calories.

These chews were never really my cup of tea type of candies - but they were good. They do have a sour pack I would like to try so we'll see about those, but these chews will do good in a pinch if you're just looking to sate a slight sweet craving.

http://www.torieandhoward.com/
http://www.torieandhoward.com/categories/chews.html

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: