Monday, December 9, 2019

Hammond's Mellow Fluffs

While working on tidying/reorganizing my home, I thought I'd take a break for some coffee and to relax a bit whilst plotting my next move (aka moving furniture around).

In my tidying, I came across my snacks collections - a variety of things I'd bought from a variety of places since they looked interesting and piqued my curiosity to try (and I like trying new things - hence this blog). There's lots to try so I thought I'd get to it to still be productive while on a break from my other productivity.

Blogging is productive, right?
*******
So the first item up for tasting: Mellow Fluffs

I saw these in a store recently, and I love me a good marshmallow, so I thought I'd snag one of each flavor they had and give them a try. And now, in no particular order...

Vanilla Bean

Right off the bat sniffing the bag after opening, they smell deliciously of vanilla... and oddly of Playdoh (which is a little disconcerting but I digress).

They are cut square, soft and smooshy to the touch as well as powdery though they don't make a mess or leave any kind of residue on your fingers. Their color is white with perhaps a little bit of a "vanilla bean pod" hue.

The sweet vanilla taste is noticeably there... and nothing else. (Granted I wouldn't know what Playdoh tastes like, and I have no intention of finding out, but I'm pretty sure vanilla and sugar would hardly mask that specific flavor profile). They are airy and fluffy as a marshmallow should be.

Birthday Cake

The smell of this marshmallow is strongly of birthday cake though it reminds me of the birthday cake frosting and not an actual birthday cake. These just smell super sweet. (And thankfully absolutely NO hints of Playdoh.)

They are similar in texture to the Vanilla Bean ones - soft and smooshy. They are square and white but are speckled with rainbow sprinkles (although they look more like someone took a mini hole-puncher to some Necco wafers).

Even though they feel soft, they taste denser than the Vanilla Bean ones, making chew a little more. Not sure if it's due to the sprinkles or not. I've never heard of sprinkles changing the chew consistency in baking.

Toasted Coconut

These just smell sugary sweet, much different than the other three, but I'm not getting any coconut at all, toasted or otherwise (which is sad since I LOVE coconut.)

The marshmallows are again square but feel denser than the first two. They are white and coated in toasted coconut flakes which shed a little when handling them.

They taste as dense as the Birthday Cake ones, but I'm still not getting any coconut flavor. Maybe - if at all - the coconut hits on the back end like an aftertaste, but I would think that if you name a treat "coconut" - it would be in the flavor profile right off the bat. (Don't think I'm asking for too much here.)
*******
Now... when trying to find product info, I found nothing on the internet. When I checked the bags, I saw that these were a product of Hammond's. (I'm familiar with Hammond's since I've had some of their treats.)  I went to the Hammond's site to search for these Mellow Puffs and still couldn't find them. In the "shop" portion of their site, they have a section for "Marshmallows & Caramels" - there you will see only three different flavors of marshmallows (Vanilla Bean, Toasted Coconut, and Chocolate Chip.

What the frak happened to the Mellow Fluffs?

From what I can search on the internet, there is nothing listed for "Mellow Fluffs." The official "Mellow Snacks" website is still up but everything is out of stock. (I've often wondered when something no longer exists and that thing has a website - why keep it up? Is it to keep the domain name or something? Or is it like the old mailboxes that they just paint green when they go out of service. They are taking up space. Remove them and use the metal for something else.)

At best guess, I think Hammond's rebranded some of their items - changing things around - and revised the packaging (THANK GAWD! Because the original bag design looked something inspired by a seriously bad acid trip.)

Also in looking over the bags again, they are listed as "marshmallow snacks" (Aren't marshmallows already a snack? Can't you just say "marshmallow"?) and are "under 100 calories" (Per the package info, they are 80 calories a serving. The bag is 4oz, the serving size is listed as half a cup, and the bag claims there are "about 4 servings per container.") Was the "under 100 calories on the front of the bag supposed to lead people to believe this was a healthy marshmallow? THEY'RE MARSHMALLOWS!!!

I'm always finding things that are either a one-shot or end up being discontinued for some reason or another, but they usually bum me out more when I REALLY like that thing whether it's edible or non-edible. But since Hammond's seem to have kept marshmallows in their repertoire, I will most likely try them again at some point... and other things from this company as well.

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: