Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Buff Bake Protein Spread

Well, would you look at that? I found yet another nut butter in my snack collection.

This time? It's protein.

Also - I couldn't find pics of the small travel pouches, so I'm sharing images of the jars for reference.

With that said - let's see how this goes.

Chocolate Chip Protein Peanut Spread

Now... it doesn't say "knead packet" but since the other ones said to, and I'm a trained monkey after trying a few of these, consider it well-kneaded.

The smell is... odd. It's chocolate-ish but not really. I get hints of it, just like I do regarding the peanuts. It just doesn't smell like either chocolate or peanut butter.

The consistency is a little watery at the start, but then it starts to come out of the pouch a little thicker. The spread is the color of chocolate chip cookie dough (minus the chocolate chip).

It doesn't taste like... anything. The texture is a little grainy, too, but overall, it has a scent and taste of nothing like its label would suggest.

The serving size is one pouch which is 38g (11g of which is protein). The whole serving is 200 calories.

Snickerdoodle Protein Almond Spread - Chia + Flax

Kneaded to filth? Check.

Moving on.

It smells of almond butter, but it wasn't a strong smell - though more so than the other spread smelled of peanut butter. The consistency was less watery, and the taste was more distinguishable to almond butter than the other spread. It was also less grainy in texture.

The serving size is one pouch which is 32g (11g of which is protein). The whole serving is 150 calories.
*******
Now - I've tried alternate forms of food - like diet or fat-free... you get the idea. So perhaps the protein version of this was what made it taste the way it did. I'm used to nut-butters being sweet, even a little bit. Per the nutritional info, both spreads had sugar substitutes in them, but even those have some sweet factor - although with a funky aftertaste. But the sweetness - or lack thereof - of these spreads weren't the issue. They just didn't taste very good to me.

The pouches had illustrations on how to eat the spreads - like in celery or in a sandwich, etc, but I don't think that would've made a difference to me.

A while back I had tried the Unicorn Protein Almond Spread - really for novelty sake and also for the fact that it was a nut butter. I remember not liking that one either. It was dense and sweet-ish -and it also had rainbow sprinkles. It was also hard to spread and the scent and taste were weird and too strong.

The website no longer lists the spreads as a featured item for sale, but when looking at the recipe blog, there are some recipes that include using the spreads as one of the ingredients. So WTF with that?

I will say that I am curious to see what their other items are like (their bars and cookies - and they apparently have protein powder?) - but I'm in no hurry to go looking for them.

https://buffbake.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: