Monday, December 23, 2019

Mike and Ike's

In going through my snack collection, I noticed I had not one... not two... but THREE different flavors of Mike and Ikes.

So ya see where this post is going?

I was still in single digits when I tried Mike and Ike candies for the first time. In all honesty, I don't eat them as much I used to anymore, but I still get a nostalgic hankering for some sweet treats and snack on them from time to time.

Let us begin in the order I think I bought them in.

Buttered Popcorn

I will admit that once in a while I get a craving for some popcorn, but it's not my go-to movie snack... or anytime snack for that matter. I'm also more of a kettle corn girl, but only freshly made. I've tried the microwaveable stuff as well as movie theatre stuff, and so far? - not impressed. I have tried the more boujee microwaveable brands and flavors. Those I like - but damn, I really miss me some Jiffy Pop. That stuff brought me joy - especially watching it being made.

But back to candy.

Right out of the box, it has so smell - unless you consider the cold candy shell a smell, but that can apply to most candy.

When I bit into it though - the center definitely smelled and tasted of buttered popcorn... with that sugar candy aftertaste.

Megamix

This box is supposed to include the following flavors: Carribean Punch (blue), Strawberry-Banana (pink), Paradise Punch (pink), Grape Soda (purple), Kiwi Banana (green), Mango Delight (orange), Watermelon (green), Pineapple Banana (yellow), Peach Berry (orange), and Blue Raspberry (blue).

As with the Buttered Popcorn, there was no smell, but after I bit into them, the smell and taste matched the flavor... for the most part. Here's a quick rundown of each flavor...

Carribean Punch (light blue) - smells and tastes like Blue Hawaiian Punch
Strawberry-Banana (dark pink) yup - smells and tastes both fruits
Paradise Punch (light pink) - smells and tastes more like a pink lemonade punch to me
Grape Soda (purple) - awww, that artificial grape we all know and love
Kiwi Banana (light green) - all around, I get more banana than kiwi
Mango Delight (light orange) - MANGO!
Watermelon (dark green) - yup - that's watermelon baby!
Pineapple Banana (yellow) - more banana, very little pineapple
Peach Berry (darker orange) - soft peach scent/taste - where's the berry really?
Blue Raspberry (dark blue) - smells and tastes like the standard blue raspberry flavor... like the Pop Rocks or Jolly Rancher flavor of the same name!

Caramel Apple

Out of the box, it's a mix of brown and green (slightly ectoplasmic green if you ask me) pieces.

And again, they smell of nothing.

By sight alone, it's safe to assume the brown is caramel and the green is apple - and biting into them, they taste and smell like their respective flavors. Here the sugary aftertaste wasn't an issue since they were made to taste like a sugary sweet treat. Separate - they are okay. Together - they're better since you actually get the caramel apple flavor printed on the box.
*******
Overall, I liked the Megamix best. (They have a sour one I'm interested in trying since I like sour candies.) The idea of the caramel apple one was good, and I would have to say the buttered popcorn was my least favorite. I still like the brand after all these years, but it's no longer a must-have or go-to item I reach for anymore. The new, interesting flavors pique my curiosity, but so far nothing has really wowed me about them.

https://www.mikeandike.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: