Monday, December 16, 2019

Little Buddy's Small Batch Nut Butter

I grew up with peanut butter. It's one of my favorite things. I suppose you can say I'm something of a pseudo-expert when it comes to peanut butter. It's one of my comfort foods.

I mean, come on! Peanut butter and jelly? That's my jam.

(And on a completely random but related to this post - I love Goober Grape and Goober Strawberry by Smuckers. In the world of nut butter conversations, I've heard hate on these two things, but I love them so... to each their own.)

Back to Buddy's.

I've known about other nut-butters for a long time, but my staple growing up has been the peanut variety. For a while now, I have dabbled in all sorts of nut-butters but have only tried a few - mainly almond.with a couple tastings of cashew and sunflower here and there.

Something I've seen a lot of have been the small travel size squeeze packs of nut-butters. I think every brand has them, and I've seen them everywhere - mainly at Whole Foods types of places as well as some of the people I follow on YouTube.

So I thought I'd finally try them.

In all honesty, the only one I've actually tried has been from the brand "Justin's" (almond butter), but to be completely honest, it was an impulse buy at Whole Foods, and I've snacked on their peanut butter cups more than the nut-butters.

But back to Little Buddy.
Cinnamon Raisin

Ingredients: roasted peanuts, peanut oil, raisins, raw honey, cinnamon, sea salt.

First off, you need to KNEAD the pouch well before ripping the pouch open for consumption, but even though I went to town on the thing, when I opened it, it was still a little watery.

Doesn't smell like much when I opened the pouch. My nose knows peanut butter, and it did definitely did give off a faint nut butter vibe.

It tasted a little thick, and I definitely tasted the raisins, but there was a real gritty/grainy texture that I didn't really like.

Chocolate Peanut

Ingredients: roasted peanuts, semi-sweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, lecithin (soy) and vanilla), cocoa powder, sea salt, can sugar.

I kneaded this pouch harder than the first one, and it seemed to have blended better - but that could have been more to the ingredients than my hand strength.

The smell was definitely of chocolate, but I didn't get any notes of peanut butter at all - just chocolate.

There was still a little bit of "watery-ness" at first, but it came out that rich dark brown chocolate color, but the taste? The taste was pure chocolate to me. The consistency was thick, and there was some slight grainy texture, but the chocolate flavor was the most prominent flavor profile.

Honey Peanut

Ingredients: roasted peanuts, raw honey, peanut oil, sea salt.

I kneaded the hell out of this - like I was aggressively fluffing a pillow to make sure everything was evenly spread out to my liking.

When I opened the package, I saw success!!! The consistency was the least watery of the three - probably due to my abusive kneading technique.

There was the familiar peanut butter smell that I have been quite familiar with since childhood. I also smelled the honey which was nice.
*******
Of the three that I tried, I would say the basic tried and true honey peanut was my favorite. The taste was a little grainy, but it was much smoother than the other two, and the biggest take-away was that I tasted the peanuts, the sea salt, and the honey. With the other two, I tasted a gritty texture and raisins or just chocolate. Flavored peanut butter should still taste like peanut butter with other flavors added to it. When you lose the peanut butter flavor, then it's just something else.

Now I will concede that perhaps my kneading skills were lacking so I didn't properly blend them to get the best flavor profile, but I still feel I should have been able to taste something than just one note here and there.

The package says a serving size is two tablespoons which is the full pouch - which in the end 180 calories.

I might try them again later - or maybe just by a jar, but I always like to try a sample size of sorts before committing to a whole jar. Then if I end up not liking it, I'll have to trash a whole jar of product, and that's no good. So we'll see.

https://buddys-nut-butters.myshopify.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: