Friday, March 13, 2020

Golden Bonbon - Green Tea Nougat

One could say I was introduced to nougat when I was little by way of candy bars. Nougat candy, however, wasn't until about the early 2000's. I was working as an office manager for a small manufacturing company, Our company was growing at the time, and we were hiring a few engineers to help with the expansion. We were moving from the smaller office I had started into the bigger building across the street... where the engineers were working mainly - occasionally coming to the smaller building where I had to buzz them in. I had made friends with one of the engineers (Russ) who at one point when I was working and didn't see him approach the floor to ceiling glass window and door. He knocked. I folded my arms in mock protest asking what was in it for me. He reached into his coat pocket and brought out some candy. I then relented and let him in.
And alas - my love of nougat candy was born.

I remember asking him once if they made just nougat without any nuts in it, and he looked at me like I was mad. I didn't mind the nuts (which were usually almonds though I have seen other kinds, but I still don't think it's a silly idea to just make nougat). Hello? Charleston Chew? It can happen guys. Frak, it's already happened. So don't tell me it can't be done!

Mini rant over. Moving on.

I've seen nougat candy in a lot of stores, but they're all the same that I've had before. I look for the nougat (sans nuts), but they are not there.

But then I saw this green bag where the log looked familiar so I was intrigued. Green bag. Green tea flavored? I like green tea. Let's do this!

All the pieces are individually wrapped. When opening one, it looks like the nougat treats I've eaten before - long rectangular blocks of chewy nougat with almonds in them. Right away, I smell almonds and nougat... with a whisper of green tea. The nougat is still chewy and tasty and all that, but it's supposed to be green tea flavored (although the bottom of the bag says "made with real matcha" which is a type of green tea... which makes me wonder why not just say Matcha Nougat? - but that's neither here nor there). I don't really taste any of the green tea. It just tastes like regular nougat candy to me. Perhaps the "honey, corn syrup, sugar" portions are taking away from the tartness of the green tea - but overall it leaves me a little unsatisfied. I still like the nougat, but would have liked to actually taste some of the green tea.

The bag is 3.53oz with a serving size being 4 pieces (at 140 calories a serving). The bag yields 3.5 servings.

https://www.goldenbonbon.com/flavour/green-tea/
https://www.goldenbonbon.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: