Monday, March 9, 2020

Chocolove - Ruby Cacao Bar

I'm not as big of a chocolate fanatic like when I was a kid. I would see that bag of Hershey miniatures or would be excited to go through my Halloween stash when my brother and I got back from trick-or-treating... but back then, it was your basic chocolate tried and trues.

Snickers. Twix. Milky Way. And a slew of others. (I really liked Mars Bars and Oh Henrys - I think mainly since they weren't as widely available as the other mainstream treats.

But even though I still love the staples from my youth, I have discovered other chocolate goodies.
I was familiar with cacao beans and how chocolate is made, but when seeing this lovely thing, I never knew there were ruby cacao beans.

When unwrapping the paper covering, the bar itself is wrapped in gold foil, but the first thing I notice before opening the foil was that there was writing on the inside of the paper - a part of the poem "Two in the Campagna" by Robert Browning. (I wonder if all Chocolove bars have poems in them. Well, the brand name would suggest yes.)

I wonder do you feel today
   As I have felt since, hand in hand,
We sat down on the grass, to stray
   In spirit better through the land
This morn of Rome and May?

For me, I touched a thought, I know,
   Has tantalized me many times, 
(Like turns of thread the spiders throw
   Mocking across our path) for rhymes
To catch at and let go.

Help me to hold it! First it left
   The yellowing fennel, run to seed
There, branching from brickwork's cleft,
   Some old tomb's ruin: yonder weed
Took up the floating weft.

Where one small orange cup amassed
   Five beetles, - blind and green they grope
Among the honey-meal: and last,
   Everywhere on the grassy slope
I traced it. Hold it fast!

Okay - being a bit of a literature nerd, I love me some poetry along with stories, so this little surprise made me smile.

When I opened up the foil, I was met with a lovely pink bar of chocolate scored into squares (that all hard hearts pressed into them).

The chocolate smells a little fruity to me and also leans closer to milk or white chocolate. My personal chocolate preference is dark, but

There is definitely a fruity/berry type flavor, but it's not overpowering. Also biting into a square, it's just a solid chunk of pink chocolate all the way through.

I like it. It's yummy, and definitely, a different sweet treat that I'm immediately thinking of ruby hot chocolate or making smores with the chocolate squares.

The bar is 3.1oz with 34% cacao content.

1 serving is 1/3 of the bar - the bar is scored into 3 squares by 6 squares (so a third would be 6 out of 18 squares) which would be mathematically correct since the wrapper also says there are 3 servings per bar (160 calories per serving).

Nutritional information is often odd in its portions and almost always takes the fun out eating treats.

https://www.chocolove.com/shop/ruby-chocolate/
https://www.chocolove.com/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: