Sunday, August 5, 2007

UPSHOT Energy Shot

So recently my friend Kathy and I drove to San Diego for the annual comic book convention. To start off our journey, we stopped off at a gas station to fuel up. While filling up my tank, we stepped into the mini-mart of the station, we each got an energy drink, and since my PMS was screaming at me, I ended up getting three 99-cent bags of salty chip goodness. When I finally got to the front of the line, I saw an array of the little bottles of energy drinks - one shot deals. I thought I'd get one since I'd always been curious about them. Kathy got one, too. We decided on the pink one (which CLAIMS to be Fruit flavored).

So on the freeway we went, and Kathy was waiting for me to drink mine so we could 'shoot' them together. I opted to wait for a straightaway to open mine, and by the time we hit Interstate 5, it was time.

Now, I realize that I have expressed that the Redline energy drink is evil... but no, I have found something FAR worse.

It's as if the smaller the bottle, the worse the aftertaste.

Oh for the love of nasty... this little drink is so gross that I think the only way it would give you energy is to keep you awake long enough to either find a way to get the vile taste out of your mouth or to seek out the bastard who made the shit and have him/her die a horribly slow and painful death.

We opened the bottle and downed a quick sip and immediately made faces of disgust. With most energy drinks, it has that residual caffine aftertaste that's lingering effects depends on which drink you've just consumed. Usually, at least for me, that taste lingers toward the back of my throat and can usually be chased away with a quick chug of water. This concoction, however, is far worse than any other drink labeled as an energy drink.

The first sip right away was gross. Swallowing was even more so. The disgusting taste lingered after the first sip and gradually made its way toward the front of our mouths, down our tongues. Hoping it was a matter of just getting used to it, we tried it again and didn't get very far. It got worse with each drink. Being stupid sports of the whole venture, we drank all of what was in our respective bottles and quickly after swallowing the funktastic juice of whatever evil overlord conjured it up, made the appropriate faces to display what words could not.

Even the words I type here don't do its foulness justice.

Now, at the time, we had just discussed how energy drinks are best served cold, and these were luke warm after having been on display on the counter at the register. I was thinking perhaps they'd taste better if they were cold. I think perhaps at first Kathy was willing to agree with me, but then later, upon retrospect, she said no... there was nothing that would make that grossness taste any better.

Upon my own retrospect, yeah... I'd have to agree.

The only thing that helped take the taste away were some cookies I got from work that day. (Thank the heavens for those cookies!!!)

Would I try it again? I think a HELL NO! would suffice. Granted, I'm all for what others think of this blasted concoction of putrescence... having other willing victims... er, I mean volunteers try the brew-that-shall-not-be-named and share their stories?... I'm all for it. But me? I'm SO done.

http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/upshot

No comments: