Thursday, July 19, 2007

Redline Energy Drink

Oh the joys of evil... in a can.

Actually, would you call it a can? I guess it's a little bottle... a squishy little blue bottle... filled with EVIL!

Okay... storytime!

So one night my best friend/roommate Chris and I decided to catch a midnight showing of some movie (the title of which escapes me at the moment), and we ended going home first... and on the way stopping by a 7-Eleven and looked at energy drinks. Chris wanted the one that had the most caffine in it (since he hadn't slept well the night before and was running off fumes). He ended up getting a bottle of Redline... I think because it "looked good" (and he was probably tired of looking). So he paid for the bottle (I declined the offer for one since I was fine... at the time). So we went home (I think so he could shower after a long day of work and before the movie). While waiting for him, I got tired and lazy and blah. So on the way back to the theatre, we stopped off at the same 7-Eleven and purchased me a Redline. We found a place to park and toasted to us surviving our new drink and gulped it down the hatches.

Now I must say, the direction suggest for first timers to drink like half of it at first and then the rest later or something like that. Nah, we shot it down (or at least as much as we could take before, you know, having to breathe.)

It smelled a little like Kool-Aid... and looked like Kool-Aid (tropical punch). It was sweet going down, but after you swallow, the aftertaste... oh for the love bad aftertaste! It was all that caffine. It coated the back of my tongue and the beginning of my throat. (Chris bought a Pepsi upon my suggestion for a chaser of some kind in case the Redline tasted like crap. Needless to say that we partook of said Pepsi, but for me, I could still taste the Redline... although fainter, I could still taste it.)

We went to the movie (since I can't recall the movie at the moment, I'm going to assume that since it was most definitely NOT Battlefield Earth, we had fun), and then went home... where Chris wound down a bit and then buggered off to sleep while I, the insomniac as well as odd reactions to certain meds, was still awake and had even more issues getting to bed and then getting up the next day.

Redline is, for me, a reliable source of "wake the fuck up - you have no choice in the matter" when I need it. On the bottle it says "the utlimate energy rush" as well as "fat incinerator". I cannot see myself drinking that in combination of going to the gym and working out. The taste alone would drive me nuts.

I have only found these lovely little blue bottles of death at 7-Elevens where they have bred into other flavors and colors (such as Green Apple - which is clear, and Grape - which I believe is also clear). Of those three, the original is best.

Chris mentioned a newer uber-butch one... that we're both hesitant to try ever since we read some possible "side effects" that can occur after too much constant consumption of Redline. (Perhaps I'll find some for my road trip next week. Could prove for happy times... or psychedelic 'the car is flying, I don't care what the cop behind us says' possible trip to the emergency room road trip happy times.)

Wow! I have no idea where that came from. Try saying THAT ten times real fast.

Would I try it again? I would, and I do... whenever I need that fatal pick-me-up. I just wouldn't suggest more than one in at least a 12-hour period. Wow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redline_%28drink%29

No comments: