Monday, February 21, 2022

Diamond of California Himalayan Pink Salt Walnuts

Walnuts are my least favorite nut.

The only time I ever voluntarily eat them is in baklava or honey walnut shrimp. They make pistachio baklava which is yummy, and I've only seen one restaurant that made honey pecan shrimp (which is more my jam) - but those options are few and far between, but with those foods, I can deal with walnuts. 

In any other instance? No, thank you.

While at the store recently, I saw they had these little snack bags of nuts, and at first glance, I thought they were pecans - which I love - but when I got a closer look, I saw they were walnuts and was completely turned off...

Until I saw the flavors.

Since they weren't all plain walnuts, I thought I'd give them a shot. I mean, the last time I actually had a walnut "au naturel" was maybe when I was a kid. As I've gotten older, I have revisited foods I previously didn't like and have been pleasantly surprised when I found that I liked them. 

But walnuts? I'm not so sure.

I bought a few bags to try, and I thought I'd start with the plainest one they had and work my way up.

So... first walnut up to bat? Himalayan Pink Salt. I figured I'd start with the plainest one (and one I'd probably dislike the most) and go on from there.

When opening the bag, they didn't really smell like anything. 

When I was younger, I remember other kids saying shelled walnuts looked like little brains - which I guess I could see that comparison. To me though, they reminded me of those green and blue alien bug things that capture your ship in Galaga... and then when that bug flies back down toward you with your ship in tow, and you shoot the alien bug, you get your ship back and have two ships. 

I always loved that part.

The salt is a definite plus, but they aren't coated evenly so most of the time you taste pure walnut as opposed to seasoned walnut - and I'm still not a fan. Aside from the flavor, it's mostly the texture. And the flavor is like I bit down on a toothpick that has splintered apart in my mouth.

Per the pouch, you get 4oz (113g) of walnuts per bag. 1 serving is 1/4 cup (28g) which is 190 calories, and you get 4 servings per container.

I went into this with an open mind, but it seems my mind (and tastebuds) feel the same about walnuts. Let's see how the next one fares.

https://www.diamondnuts.com/
https://www.diamondnuts.com/product/walnuts/
https://shop.diamondnuts.com/collections/snack-walnuts
https://shop.diamondnuts.com/collections/snack-walnuts/products/4-oz-himalayan-pink-salt-snack-walnuts

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: