Thursday, March 4, 2010

Holy Chocolate - Amaretto

So in the one time I went to the little Russian market across the street from my old apartment, I bought many things… one of which was a small package of Holy Chocolate. Of course my curiosity is going to tell me to step closer, pick it up, investigate.

This package was located near the register – an impulse item. It stood out since the package itself is gold, the label pink (but not a bright, neon pink that would make you run for cover). The name Holy Chocolate caught my attention right away (chocolate-ness is next to Godliness?... or something like that.) Above the name it said “gourmet hot chocolate mix”. Below the name it said “every sip blessed”. Liking this chocolate more and more, I flipped it over to read more.

Right at the top, it says: “A True Drinking Chocolate. Unlike any other mix. The finest cocoas, rich natural milk, and sophisticated flavor await. Add water and it’s Heaven on Earth.” Well, with a plug like that, who wouldn’t want some? I flipped through the packages (for there were many flavors) and chose amaretto.

A brief overview of the ingredients per the back of the package: sugar, powdered whole milk from pasture cows (rBST and antibiotic free), Dutched cocoa (alkalized), artificial and natural flavor.

Hmmm, makes me wonder what the artificial flavor is?

And yes, there’s an allergen warning: Contains dairy. Made in a facility that processes dairy, peanuts and other tree nuts, soy and wheat.

Serving size is one package which is 193 calories, 64 from fat. In small print below all the nutritional information it says that everything is based off the 2,000 calorie diet. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never really been good about keeping to that number. Perhaps that’s why I’m so luscious and thick. (I just realized that I described myself like a shake.)

Now I have to say in all honesty of all the things I purchased there, I had completely forgotten about this lovely little package of goodness. It was small comparatively to everything else I got, and got overshadowed by bigger boxes of cookies and teas. So when I did find the package again, I was in the mood for a treat of chocolate and voila! – there it was.

How I love this chocolate, let me count the ways. Yes, it’s a chocolate that says “just add hot water” and other chocolates that I have had taste strongly like chocolate but aren’t as yummy and delicious as Holy Chocolate. It tasted thicker and richer and yummier than other brands I’ve had. It was just more pleasing and comforting and soothing and made for an all over wonderful chocolate experience.

Would I ever try this again?: Hells yeah! I love this stuff. It’s great. Granted, it’s a lot of calories to take in so I wouldn’t be binging on multiple packets of joy, but each cup is so satisfying, one cup will last you a while.

And the best part about the whole thing is that the company that makes the stuff is local to where I live. Huzzah to me!!!

www.holychocolate.com
http://www.holychocolate.com/variety_amaretto.php

No comments: