Thursday, March 4, 2010

eos lip balm – honeysuckle honeydew

Well hello there ladies and gentleman, I present to you the first review of mine that does not involve FOOD. Yes indeedy folks, this is a momentous occasion so note this on your calendars and celebrate it annually since it’s really a special treat.

Anyway…

A little while ago, I was sick, and I headed to a 24-hour Walgreen’s to buy some appropriate drugs. (Oh goodness, yes. I am a HUGE medicator. HUGE!!! The slightest inkling of a sickness within me, and I want to kill it quickly before it spreads.)

In the aisle with the cold/flu meds hanging on one of the impulse cross-merchandising hooks were these little yellow/green and pink/red eggs. My eyes found the words “lip balm” right away and being intrigued, I read on.

The front of the package says “eos – the evolution of smooth”. There’s also a USDA organic stamp as well as the phrase “a natural reason to smile”.

The back of the package said things like “95% organic” and “100% natural lip balm” that’s ‘petroleum & paraben’ free… just like you”.

Oh yeah, and it’s not tested on animals.

To be perfectly honest with you all, I don’t know what a “paraben” is, and I keep forgetting to look it up on the internet. I know my sister-in-law knows since when my brother brought up they now buy a different brand of diapers for their daughter which are paraben free, I said, “What’s a paraben?”, and he told me to ask his wife. Needless to say, I’m assuming it’s something bad for you.

The lip balm has vitamin E, “soothing” shea butter, jojoba oil, and is “anti-oxidant rich” to keep lips “moist, soft and sensationally smooth”.

Now let me say straight off the bat, I’m a Carmex girl – strawberry specifically. I was running low on my last tube, but when I saw this I thought “Why not? I have enough left of my Carmex in case I don’t like this.”

So… I bought an egg.

Yeah, it looks like a tiny little egg. That’s usually the comment when my friends see me use it.

Friend: What is that?
me: 100% natural, 95% organic, not tested on animals, paraben-free lip balm.
Friend: Looks like an egg.

There were two flavors – the one I got (honeysuckle honeydew – which comes in a yellow/green egg), and a strawberry something-or-other flavor that comes in a pink/red egg. For some reason I thought strawberry would be too sweet so I went with the other one. (I mean, come on, how many times have you tried something that claimed to be a certain flavor and it tasted like ass or just really bad?)

The egg is cut in half, and there’s a flat bit on one side.

You hold.
You twist.
And voila! – the egg is open to show you a giant ball of lip balm which (in keeping with the egg-metaphor) looks like a hard-boiled yolk.

When I tried it, I was surprised at how nice it felt. And the flavor was just slight so it didn’t taste like wax or something gross whenever I licked my lips. The cool thing about the lip balm was the fact that it was a giant ball. It made me think of a joke I had heard a long time ago, it might have been George Carlin though I’m not sure, about how someone should invent a chapstick wall since whenever anyone applies chapstick, they hold the stick still while they move their head around it. With the ball, you don’t have to do that. I just (pardon the vivid imagery, but) placed the ball between my lips and applied. You can either sweep it back and forth or rotate the ball without moving your head.

Okay people – minds out of the gutter, please?

I will admit that I do not use it all of the time, but it is in my purse along with my Carmex. It’s good to have around if you’re going to kiss someone, even if it is a peck, since the texture and taste aren’t too annoying or overpowering, and it does make your lips soft.

Would I ever try this again?: Maybe. The lip balm was nice, but it didn’t completely rock my world. I did like how my lips felt not being too overly lubed or greasy, but I still like my Carmex more. I do though recommend trying it out at least once. Perhaps it will be more of your cup of tea than it was mine.

eos Products LLC
New York, NY 10010

www.evolutionofsmooth.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.