Thursday, March 4, 2010

Churritos – Chile & Lime

When I see the word “Churritos”, the first thing that pops into my mind is “tiny churros”. Now hey! – anyone who knows me knows that I’m a churros-whore. I LOVE me some churros. I went to Disneyland once with a couple friends and I swear, I lost count on how many churros I had in one day. It’s not my fault really. They have frozen lemonade and churros stations strategically placed throughout the Magic Kingdom. It’s like putting crack in front of an addict.

But I digress.

When at a nearby AM/PM market, I had only gone in for a bottle of water, but then I saw these interesting chips and thought why not.

Now I must explain my tastebuds for just a second. See, of my family, I was born without the ‘can eat hot food’ gene. And when I say hot food, I mean hot wings, jalapenos, Tabasco… you get the idea. There are some things that are seasoned a certain way that are a little spicy to me but aren’t hot so I eat them but being tasty, sometimes I eat them too fast which causes the complete opposite of a brain freeze in my mouth.

With that being said, there are some flavors that even though I’ve had bad experiences with them before (most ending with the food being way too hot for me so I have to pass it off to someone else or toss it), I am still drawn to. Ha, like churros.

One of these flavors is chile and lime. I always think the lime will save me, but more often than not, it doesn’t. (Oh epic fail.) So while getting my bottle of water, I come across a small bag of Churritos – chile & lime. The picture on the bag makes me think mini-churros, but regardless of the churro-appeal, I hold off since the flavor has not been my friend before. Upon better judgment and past history, I buy the 4oz bag which per the nutritional facts on the back are 160 calories, 90 from fat. A serving size is about 40 pieces which leave about 4 servings per bag. Woo hoo. Here I’m thinking if I eat this whole bag, I’m denying three other people their joy of this snack.

And if I were to do that, then let me tell you… they would be grateful.

Flavor… flavor… where art thou flavor? Yes, you heard me. There was none. First off, when I opened the bag, my image of mini-churros was quickly replaced by the reality of twigs. They reminded me of the crunchy chow mein noodles you see in Chinese cuisine. I pick up a few thinking “So what? At least they’ll be spicy.” Oh contrare my little friend. I tossed the few twiglets into my mouth expecting something spicy, and all I get is crunch. So, I toss a few more back… same thing. I’m not even getting the salt (of which the back of the bag claims there’s 160mg of sodium). I’m not getting a build of heat or anything with the snack. It’s quite disappointing indeed.

In thinking about the Chinese food reference, perhaps they would have gone good in a salad or something as a topper, but I’m not sure anything would have made these any tastier that the crunchy cardboard that they seemed to be. And the freshness date wasn’t until January. Sheesh. Talk about preservatives.

Again, another snack brought to me by the company “Grupo Bimbo” who has failed my tastebuds more than pleased.

Would I ever try this again?: Nope. I’m a big fan of flavor, and since this snack lacked it all around, I wouldn’t bother trying it again.

http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=1039

No comments: