Sunday, February 17, 2008

Skittles - NEW! Chocolate Mix

WOW! I haven't been around here for a while, have I? My life's been really weird as of late so my internet time has been close to minimal, but let me play catch-up, shall I?

All righty...

Recently I drove to my mother's in Fresno after work last week Friday. From there she, her husband, and I trekked to Glendale to see my brother, his wife, and their new baby girl (my niece - that I hadn't met until that weekend). It was a short but all right visit, and Sunday we trekked back to Fresno where I picked up my car and set off for home.

On the way out of town, I stopped off at a gas station (a Johnny Quick to be exact) to top of my tank and get snacks/beverages for the ride home. In coming back inside to get my change (I over-guessed my gas payment), I saw at the register a brown bag of Skittles.

This intrigued me, so while in line, I picked one up. It was indeed a brown bag of Skittles... NEW! CHOCOLATE MIX SKITTLES!

Curiosity getting the better of me, when it was my turn I said, "I'm here for my change and these," plopping down a bag of new chocolate Skittles.

It wasn't until about halfway home that I ripped open the bag and tried some... but let me tell you, it wasn't all that great of an experience.

Now now... I'm not saying they were gross or anything... not like the Clamato Tortilla Chip experience I had. It just wasn't all that great. I mean, it tasted just like regular Skittles - except this time, there was chocolate... but it wasn't "hey this is yummy chocolate" chocolate... more like "I think this is trying to taste like chocolate" chocolate.

The flavors that the candy was trying to accomplish were: S'mores, Chocolate Pudding, Chocolate Caramel, Vanilla (which isn't a chocolate at all... I wonder why they didn't just say White Chocolate?), and Brownie Batter.

Now, all of these flavors are wonderful in general, but this is a perfect example of "Why the hell do companies name flavors for things when the item doesn't even taste remotely like what they're trying to sell it as?"

As for my overall enjoyment of the candy?

You know when you eat regular Skittles and the inside tastes very soft and chewy but the candy coating has this sugary taste... sort of the aftertaste you experience in an energy drink due to the caffine? Well, the chocolate Skittles tasted fine - well, the inside of the Skittle did, the chewy part. Reminded me of a Milky Way or a Three Musketeers by way of flavor (although much lighter) and consistency. The candy coating, however, wasn't all that wonderful. It tasted like there was a hint of regular fruity Skittles in there for me.

Or maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me since Skittles are standardly fruity and not chocolatey.

When looking for the link to add to this post, I couldn't find any trace of the chocolate Skittles. Not sure why. Perhaps the item is too new, and they have yet to add it to the site. (Or maybe they know it's not that great and don't plan to add it at all.)

Would I try it again?: No. This was a one-time deal. It didn't stand out enough to make me want it again.

http://www.skittles.com/

No comments: