Thursday, May 6, 2021

SONIC SLUSHED DROPS

I think the first time I really heard of SONIC was when I was on a "road trip," and we stopped for some grub in Oklahoma. We pulled up to a SONIC Drive-In, and from what I can recall, I had a pleasant food experience.

It wouldn't be until YEARS later that they not only made it to my neck of the woods, but someplace reliatively close to where I lived. From what I can tell, it hasn't reached mainstream fast food status (like McDonald's), but it's yummy just the same. If more locations were close by, I'd definitley hit up their drive-thru, but at present, the closest one to me is about 30min away (on a good traffic day). Nevertheless, if I'm hungry, and one is nearby or within my sights, it's definitely on my radar.

I also like their commercials!

So while out on errands one day, I saw the SONIC logo and was instantly curious. Admittedly it was an impulse buy, and also I thought from the look of the bag that they were sour candies.

The bag says "SONIC SIGNATURE BEVERAGE FLAVORS IN HARD CANDY!"

So... in this 3.39 oz bag we have the following individually wrapped six flavors (in no particular order):

Peppermint (which looks like a white and red hard candy tablet)

Looks alone, it reminds me of the standard peppermint

It's quite light in peppermint flavor... especially in comparison to other peppermints I've had. As an example - I could probably drink orange juice with no real bad reactions. Don't get me wrong, there is definite peppermint flavor, but in a scale of nothing to an Altoid... we're at maybe a third or less of a Listerine strip.

Root Beer Float (which looks like a brown and white hard candy tablet)

Similar in look to the Peppermint candy, this one also has a similar light taste. To be fair, I don't taste the "float" part at all - just the root beer. It would've been nice if they got a little of the creaminess of the ice cream part of the float, but overall - it's a nice candy.

Cherry Limeade (which looks like a dark red with a hint of green hard candy tablet)

This candy was a little difficult to recognize in comparison to the Peppermint and Root Beer Float.. The first two candies were colored similar to a traditional candy cane, so you could SEE the color differentation. WIth this one, you can see practically 90-95% dark red, but sneeze or blink, and you'll miss that tiny sliver of green for the limeade.

Right off the bat, I taste more cherry than lime... but then again, if you go by the color portions alone, that may be why. Regardless, it has a nice flavor.

Blue Raspberry (which looks like a dark blue hard candy tablet)

For me, blue raspberry as a flavor is hit or miss. I'm not really sure who thought up this flavor like regular raspberry wasn't enough - let's make it blue! Raspberries themselves are a little on the tart side, but blue raspberry tries to take that tart and make it sour. At least that's the feeling I get whenever I have it. I think the first time I saw blue raspberry was either in a Slurpee, cotton candy, or the candy Fun Dip. In the times I've had the flavor, it always tasted sour and sweet... sweet due to most of its hosts are of the candy/sweets variety.

With all that said, I like this candy flavor. I like sour candies in general, and it's always hard to find the type of sour that I like. It's either WAY too sour (like when you have spicy food, and it's so hot that you no longer taste flavor - only pain), or it's WAY too light, fades really fast, or is just non-existent.

This candy however hits the spot. I think since it's a hard candy, the flavor is all throughout which makes it nice.

Okay, the last two I'm not really clear on because the flavors are quite similar - at least in my mouth - and the bag didn't have a cheat code of pictures with the flavors listed so here we go. 

Strawberry Lemonade (which looks like a light pink hard candy tablet - if I'm right)
Watermelon (which looks like a medium red hard candy tablet - if I'm right)

This is odd. The last two candies are light pink and medium red respectively, but I honestly cannot differentiate between what the two flavors are supposed to be.

I know watermelons are pinky/red, but I'm used to watermelon flavored candy being light pink - like gummy watermelon where the candy is shaped like half-moons. But other watermelon gummies are a medium red (like the ones from Haribo). 

And I don't really get any strawberry flavor from either of them. And no lemonade. They both taste like different versions of watermelon gummies I've had. But I do like them both so... there's that at least.

The bag apparently has six servings in them stating five drops is one serving which equals 60 calories. Similar to the jellybeans, I had only two medium red ones (from the Strawberry Lemonade/Watermelon fiasco mentioned earlier). I had a lot of all the other flavors. Quality control needs to relegate that. I mean, come on. We should have equal amounts of each flavor listed on the package. Is that too much to ask?

I think of all the flavors, Root Beer Float was my favorite followed closely by Blue Raspberry. I liked the last two I tried, but I'd like them better if I could figure out which was which.

https://order.sonicdrivein.com/
https://order.sonicdrivein.com/menu/drinks/frozen-drinks

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: