Saturday, October 17, 2020

Sol Cuisine - Crispy Chik'n - Plant Based Bites

pic from site - not my image


Last night I was craving something to eat, but I didn't want to cook something too time-consuming. 

Since I like trying out new things, I have the habit of going to the store with a list but then seeing something that interests me... and into the cart it goes. I wouldn't necessarily call it impulse-buying completely since I do read and review the item to see if it's something that I will like. (Yeah, I don't put EVERYTHING in my cart that catches my eye.)

Though my impulse add-ons have caused my fridge/freezer to get full rather quickly. I'm great at Tetris and all, but damn.

I recently cleaned out my fridge and freezer, and have been trying to use up the food I have already. (I'm currently planning a trip to the store since I'm out of a few things, but I still have "some" things left.)

Last night I decided on the rest of the spicy beef gyoza I had and then made some Crispy Chik'n Plant-based Bites by Sol Cuisine. The cooking directions were very simple - preheat the oven, cook bites for about 10min, take them out and flip them and cook them for another 10min - and you're done. The bites also came with a sauce packet (BBQ sauce) that you just have to let sit in warm water until thawed.

While the bites were in the oven, I prepped the gyoza and basically had appetizers for dinner. 

Everything was done about the same time - YAY! So I plated it, sat at my desk, and began to work on my laptop when I tried the first "chik'n" bite.

Ohhh these are good!

I made a point to try them first without the sauce, and they were yummy! The consistency was pretty similar to a regular chicken nugget - which I have had MANY - but they didn't taste too far off. 

Most alternatives to meat taste incredibly different or have some weird aftertaste... oh you know what I mean. Well, if you're a meat-eater that occasionally eats meat-alternatives, you know what I mean. But these bites taste really close to actual chicken. And they don't taste weird at all. I mean, I can tell the difference between real and "imitation chicken" - but this stuff is really good. And the BBQ sauce is lovely, too.

One bag is 10.6 oz which is about 12 "bites" - though they look like chicken tots. The package says a serving portion is 4 pieces and a 1/3 of the sauce pack - which totals 3 servings per bag (which is resealable, may I add). One serving is 210 calories. I kind of wish they had bigger bags since they are resealable, you can cook however many you want at a time. I ended cooking all of them since I'm a cow and really wanted a snack - and also I hadn't really eaten much all day, but that's neither here nor there.

They have other foods - the chik'n bites were listed as an appetizer. They have entrees and some tofu items. They have a lot of burger patties that look and sound delicious. I need to go back and get some more of them.

And on a side note - I think I need more gyoza, too.

https://solcuisine.com/
https://solcuisine.com/products/crispy-chikn-bites/

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments: