Saturday, August 1, 2009

Magnolia Premium Ice Cream - Mais-Queso (Corn & Cheese)

So I LOVE going to Asian markets and shopping around. It brings me back to my childhood when I'd shop with my mother. Sometimes when I miss my childhood, I seek out things Asian (like Goldilocks or Chinese food or whatever) just to wax some nostalgia.

Of my many market adventures, I usually check out the ice cream since I love me some mochi... and I saw tubs of stuff that I've grown to love like green tea or red bean... and then I saw it.

Magnolia Premium Tropical Ice Cream. The brand has many flavors, but one that threw me for a loop and held my attention for a while was Mais-Queso. Now I'm not a linquistics major or know many words in any other language than English... but I know those words mean 'corn' and 'cheese'.

I usually think when trying things I've never tried before... if the components making up the main thing are things that I like individually, there's a good chance I might like them altogether. Now that was good with cheese and peanut butter... or even chocolate and bacon... but this?

Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE my carbs. They are the main reason I will never be thin... EVER. I shall always be thick and sturdy. Fit? Yes. Supermodel thin? Hell no. So I love me some cheese and love me some corn.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I never could find anything but huge tubs of the stuff. I kept thinking doesn't it come in pints?... and then the other day I found a small tub of it and figured Why not? I got a couple spare bucks.

I brought it home, ate my dinner and then later had some interesting ice cream for dessert. I scooped myself three small scoops into a mug and sat down to watch some TV. I put a small bit in my mouth and stopped moving.

How many different ways is there to say "Holy crap, what the hell did I just put in my mouth?" (Don't go all dirty on me. I'm talking about ice cream.)

I was hoping that it'd be sweet or... or something... but damn. It was nasty. My mouth was immediately filled with cheese and a slightly less strong taste of corn. I'm not sure if these two flavors would essentially go together well in any other situation, but in the ice cream world... NO!

Per the package, it said that it was a quart size (946 mL) with 4 oz per servings leaving that to be 230 calories per each of the 8 servings in the tub.

I don't know what could make this flavor better. I can't imagine it in a sundae or a milkshake... it's just a whole lot of 'OMFG NO!'

Those crazy Asians (of which I am one)... what will they think of next?

Would I try it again?: Um, how many ways can I say 'no'? I'm sure there are a lot of colorful ways to, but I will just simply say that I will not try this ice cream flavor EVER again.

http://www.ramarfoods.com/index.php
http://www.ramarfoods.com/magnolia/index.php
http://www.ramarfoods.com/magnolia/flavor_mais_queso.php

No comments: