Friday, July 31, 2009

Zaisu Tea - Green Tea with Ginseng, Honey and Agave

So I was on my way to pick up my roommate from work and take her to the airport when I had to stop and get gas. I went to the AM/PM nearby to fuel up, and since I was thirsty, a drink as well.

In the cooler, there were these tall cans of tea. I have to admit that the can design intrigued me at first. There were three flavors: mango, strawberry-kiwi, and green tea. Being a lover of mango and green tea it was difficult, but I went with the green tea in the end... perhaps it was the 'ginseng, honey and agave' that got me. I don't know.

I pump my gas, I get in my car and head off to my friend's job. I crack the can like a cold beer on Redneck summer afternoon (hey, I can say that since I'm half Redneck) and start to sip... honestly expecting the worst.

Lo and behold to my surprise... it doesn't suck. Looking at the can it screams "no preservatives" and "100% all natural", but to warn those that read labels, etc, it has 'high fructose corn syrup', and I know how that's become a thing these days.

Now the can also tells you that a serving size is 8 fl oz (did I mention the can is 23?), and that it's 80 calories per serving (no calories from fat) which there are approximately 8.

I know it's liquid, but I consumed three servings... approximately... of tea. I just want to know, on a complete tangent that is related to food and drink... WHO THE FUCK MAKES UP THE PORTIONS? I am aware of portion control and all that, but whereas I'm not going to devour a mountain of food, I am not happy eating what looks like to be barely enough for a damn fly.

I just think the portions are ridiculous. Now, moving onwards...

The drink itself was slightly sweet, not overly so regardless of what kind of sugar was in it. It tasted good and not overpowering and quenched the thirst that I had originally set out to tame.

Would I try it again?: High fructose corn syrup and portion ridiculousness aside, yes... I would try it again. I'm curious to see what the other flavors taste like - not to mention the other products. Now mind you this is not a drink that I'd seek out, but if I came across it again, and I didn't have it in my mind to have something else... I'd definitely consider these drinks an option.

http://www.intellibev.com/
http://www.intellibev.com/teas.html

No comments: