Monday, November 19, 2012

Cofresh Hummus Chips - Creamy Dill

In planning my travels for the holidays, I had plotted that I wanted to leave straight from work (I get out at 8pm this Wednesday), and head to Fresno to see my family with as minimal amounts of stops as possible. I knew that I wanted to stop at the nearby 7-Eleven for a beverage for my 3-hour nighttime excursion, but I thought I could easily head to the store and gather some snacks for the road beforehand.

While running a quick errand before work today, I made the mistake of straying from my goal of looking for one thing (which was in no way food-related) and perused the store ending up in the snack aisle. I found a few goodies, one of which were these hummus chips.

I like hummus! So I bought some to try.

Now COFRESH is a company I have never heard of before, but hey... that's not to say they won't be good. A lot of lesser known brands as well as generic versions of things are just as tasty if not better than the original.

Anyone try the Kirkland products from Costco? Then you know what I mean.

Anyway... now here I sit at work on my lunch break (which I usually spend working on my story blogs), trying my hummus chips and writing about them.

Right away the bag is not so big which is all right by me. It's a nice and compact 4.7oz which is easy for snacking as well as sharing. The image ON the bag is pretty much what you get IN the bag. They remind me of some weird love child of a Frito Scoop and a Bugle.

The front of the bag also boasts this treat has 30% less fat than regular potato chips (fat reduced from 10g tp 7g per serving... someone want to tell me what that means/)

The bottom of the bag says these chips are gluten free with no artificial colors or flavors and also have no artificial preservatives.

So this makes me curious about the ingredients.

Flipping the bag over I see the following: Chickpea Flour, Potato Starch, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Corn Flour, Creamy Dill Flavor (Whey Powder, Salt, Dextrose, Onion Powder, Rice Flour, Sugar, Flavor Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate), Lactose, Cheese Powder, Yeast Extract Powder, Natural Flavorings, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Diacetate), Herbs (Parsley, Dill).

Ahhh, good ol' MSG. Recently hung out with friends, and they were talking about how MSG makes things taste so much better. I have stuff without it, and it tastes just as good so I have no idea what they're talking about.

Then there are other things that I wonder about (like "rapeseed"?), but overall, it looks - for all intents and purposes - normal and digestable.

Also on the back it gives "Allergy Advice" saying that this product is made in a factory that handles milk/dairy products, nuts, sesame seeds and wheat and may contain trace allergens. Contains Milk & Dairy products. When reading that (as well as typing it out), it made me think of those drug commercials that are supposed to make you better, but then they start listing the side effects, and the list seems to go on forever and ever. This allergy list didn't run as long, but it was more than I was used to seeing on a food item.

Pop open the bag. Stick a chip in my mouth. CRUNCH!!!

We have taste success.

This snack (could be because I'm currently PMS'ing) is nicely salted and not overly so. The consistency of the chips makes me think of Munchos since they're so puffy and light. You can also taste the dill which is subtle which is great since some chip-like snacks can have a lot of flavor that - while flavor is good - sometimes can overpower your tastebuds.

Would I ever try this again? Maybe. It's a brand that I haven't come across frequently enough, and it's not so mind-blowing great that I would ever seek it out. As a "new thing", it was a nice experience and apparently a healthy one.

http://www.cofresh.co.uk/creamy-dill-hummus-chips

Cofresh Snack Foods
Cofresh House, Lewisher Road
Leicester, LE4 9LR, United Kingdom
Tel: 44 (0) 116 246 4101
Email: sales@cofresh.co.uk
Website: www.cofresh.co.uk

No comments: