Sunday, June 24, 2012

Jalapeno Microwave Popcorn

Ahhh, there's a happy fellow, huh?
So when you go to your Girlfriend's house, and she asks you if you want to experiment, what's the worst that could happen?

One Thursday last month I went to my friend Kathy W's house for our weekly dose of Dusty's World, and as we got our beers for the toast at the beginning of the show, my "Girlfriend" (aka Kathy W) asked me if I wanted to experiment.  After the millions of jokes recited themselves in my mind, I told her I was game, and she disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a package.

A popcorn package.

Jalapeno Microwave Popcorn.  Batch #37.

She had received it as a stocking stuffer or something and hadn't tried it yet.  (She loves to share experiments.)

So let me break down my inspection of the package before she unwrapped it and nuked it.

On the cover of the bag was an image of a man who looked like he was screaming his head off.  On the side of the bag by his face it says "Pain is good."  On the other side of his face is a "pain gauge" which marks the popcorn we were about to munch on as medium (between mild and hot).  This delicious treat also has a net weight of 3.25 oz (91 g) and is made in the good ol' U S of A.

And for those virgin popcorn poppers out there, take heed the print that states:

Caution: when opening; hot steam.

From the package...

"Not just another pretty face and not just another jalapeno popcorn.  You're going to scream with delight, bite after bite.  Make sure you have your favorite cold drink in hand just in case the Pain is too good!"

That part I found entertaining since I'm the hot wuss when it comes to my friends, and I loved this stuff.  When Kathy poured it into the bowl, it looked to me like salt and pepper popcorn.  Yes, there were occasionally those kernels that had a little more seasoning than others, but overall, it was rather tasty, and I was sad when the bowl was empty.  So PAIN?  The only pain I experienced was when there was no more.

Okay, technical crap... like ingredients: popcorn, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, artificial and natural flavors, color, jalapeno pepper and spices.  (Sounds almost 100% healthy for ya, right?)

Serving size is 3.5 cups (or 32 g for those that count things like that) making servings per container (um, don't you mean bag?... though I guess a bag is a container since it contained the kernels... anyway, I'm babbling... wait, where was I?... oh yeah) 3.  To serving sizes all over, I laugh in your general direction as I give you the finger.  But seriously... when you make a big bowl of popcorn, you're just sharing the joy?

And by joy, I really mean the 160 calories.  

Would I ever try this again?  Sure.  It's a tasty treat that I wouldn't turn down.  (Also on the website, there's a treat called "Cheesecake in a Jar" that comes in traditional and chocolate flavors that I want to try.  No it's not spicy, but damn... sounds so yummy. 

Manufactured for and Distributed by:
Original Juan Specialty Foods
647 Southwest Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66103
1-866-568-8468
http://www.originaljuan.com/

No comments: