Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chewy Extinguisher Sour Citrus Candy

They all look like they're in various stages of anal distress
I'm always on the lookout for sour candies that'll make me happy.  Ever since the candy shop in the mall that I would go to and get my sour gummy goodness before catching a flick at the theatre closed, I have been a regular visitor to Sadsville.

Now, that's not to say I can't get my sour gummies elsewhere... but this place had such a wide variety of flavors, it was awesome.

And no... Sour Patch Kids DO NOT do it for me.  (They just don't taste right.)

So unable to depend solely on my sour gummies anymore, I have been on the lookout for other sour yummy candies.

What I'm looking for is not something that'll make my mouth pucker more than a cat's anus.  I'm merely looking for something that is sour in an "oh yeah... that's sour" kind of way while still being able to look at people without appearing as if a parade of Smurfs has just exited my keester.

You're welcome for the visual.

While at the new candy store near my house, the dude working there saw me walking around and asked if he could help me with anything.  So... I asked him what he had in the way of sour candies.

One of which he drew me to were the "extinguisher" candies.

I have seen these candies before, but something about them kept turning me away.  They didn't seem like they'd make me happy, but after years of saying no... upon the employees suggestion, I decided to give them a go.

Never again.

This tiny little box has a tray of colored candies inside that correspond with the lovely cover.  If the cover is to be believed, orange (tangerine) is the mildest at 'tangy' followed by yellow (lemon) as 'sour' with green (lime) being 'super sour'.  Now the premise of this candy is that you can eat whichever sour bad boy you choose, but if you need a breather, you can get 'sweet relief' by popping one of the (berry) blue ones.

I don't know if it was the sour powder or what, but they all had this aftertaste (maybe the blue ones not so much) just like how most energy drinks have a caffeine aftertaste.

Only this was worse.

I could taste what they were trying to pass off as 'sour', but it was more like off-candy flavor... and that lasted shorter than a finger snap.  While doing whatever would be classified as the opposite of enjoying this candy, I read the box which made me laugh.

Aside from the faces of the candy on the front of the box that, I suppose, is supposed to convey how sour they're flavor is, it asks the question, "How sour can you take it?"  My answer to that would be, "More than you can give apparently."

Then on the back there's a diagram starting with tangy tangerine with an arrow pointing to sour lemon with another arrow pointing to super sour lime then a final arrow to the final candy with the caption above it saying "Can you munch through all 3 sour levels without reaching for the Sweet Mixed Berry EXTINGUISHER?"

Yes, you crappy candy.  I can.

I'm not going to bother with serving sizes because it's a ridiculously tiny box, and I think y'all can safely assume this stuff isn't made with the healthiest of ingredients... but I will say (if for some reason you want to try this) the allergy warning are "contains wheat and soy".

Would I ever try this again?  No.  This was yet another candy claiming to be sour but just left me disappointed and grumbly.

American Licorice Company

Consumer Affairs Group
2796 NW Clearwater Drive
Bend, OR 97701
USA

www.extinguishercandy.com*

*the website is listed on the box though it doesn't seem to exist on the interwebs as of this post

No comments: