Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mr. Brown Cappuccino Iced Coffee

I gave blood today.

Before I gave blood, I stopped off at McDonald's for lunch.  (You know... to build up my iron and also to not pass out and all that.)

When I was done, I went to the Blood Center, did the whole survey/test thing.  I sat in the automated mechanical chair (which I joked to the tech that it was like a poor man's Disneyland), and proceeded to be poked until my blood slid through the tube like a person in silk pajamas trying to get traction on a bed with silk sheets.

I stopped off to visit a friend since I was in the area.  (Thought I'd say "hi".)  I had meant to chill at a coffee house to try and do some writing, but alas, I lingered too long, and it was getting dark.  I had laundry at home that needed to be done, and I didn't want to be up too late doing it... though the time-stamp on this post would say otherwise (I'm on the last load as I write this).

Anyway, the tech reminded me of all the things I was supposed to do and not do...

Like not to smoke for at least an hour - which I find funny since I enjoy the occasional cigar once in a blue moon, but when they say that, I immediately want to have one... just out of spite.  Or not to drink alcohol for 24 hours... which just makes me pout, but I cope.  LOL!

They also say no strenuous activity (which always makes me wonder if SEX qualifies in that category)... but to drink fluids and not to skip any meals.

While chatting with friends, I was wondering why I was getting so droopy and slothy, and as I was gathering my things and heading out the door, I realized... I needed to eat!

I stopped off at an Asian market (same place I got the Rockstar Coconut Water) and decided to grab some snacks.  The entire time I was there, I kept yawning so since I had coffee on the brain due to my failed writing plan for the day (no one to blame but myself on that one), I went in search for some kind of coffee substitute to wet my whistle.

What is up with his fingers?
I found some coffee drinks in the cooler section while looking for some bottled apple tea I had before from there (quite tasty).  One of which were these little cans of with an image of a man in a white suit, red tie, hat, enjoying a cup of coffee.  He looks like he's sound like Nintendo's Mario and be pushing a gondola through the canals of Venice all the while chucking his tiny cans of caffeine to various passersby as he sings "That's Amore".

Or something like that.

Have you tried my coffee?
I also think he looks like film producer Joel Silver, but that's just me.

So knowing that I needed to do laundry, I picked up a can of this stuff hoping it would give me just enough of a boost to stay awake until my laundry was done.  As it was I had separated it into three loads, and the washer and dryer in this place are moody bitches that don't seem to like me much.

But that's neither here nor there.

Of the ones the store had, I chose cappuccino and with that, took my other purchases to the register, checked out, and headed home.

I was fine for the most part rejuvenating myself on pork, chicken, vegetables and noodles that I got from the hot case at the store, but then my energy started to wilt some when the first load was in the dryer and the second one had just started washing.

Come here little can... please work some magic.

Now this little baby "ready to drink" can of coffee is just 8.12 fl oz (which according to the nutritional facts on the side is one serving) and is 112.8 calories.

FINALLY!  I'M DRINKING FOR ONE!!!

Ingredients (copied straight from the side of the can):  water, coffee extract, sugar, milk powder, emulsifier (E473, E475, E322), flavor, carrageenan (E407), chocolate.

Now, I get everything in that list (though I'm not touching the weird E-numbers which make me think of high school and college classroom and catalog numbers), but really... what the FRAK is "flavor"?  Is there a bottle labeled "flavor" in the secret coffee lab of this company?

And what's with this statement (which is right above the ingredients): You may occasionally find tiny milk flakes appearing , quality is no problem.  WTFrak is that supposed to mean?  Now I know there's milk powder in it, and there's no instruction like "shake before opening" or some such, but it's more the last part that bothers me.  They could have phrased it better.  MUCH better.  

Anyway...

It tastes all right.  Even though the website thinks claims it's very good! - in my opinion, it's not like "HOLY CRAP!  I NEED TO SHOOT THIS STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS!"  It's just... okay. 

Would I ever try this again?  Doubtful.  It served its purpose as a "hmmm, I wonder what this is like?" as well as coming the closest to a coffee drink that I could find in the market without having to drag my lazy ass to some coffee establishment nearby.  (Hey!  Lay off!  I gave blood today.  So there!)

All in all, if I was craving a pick me up or something coffee-flavored, I'd either buy some candy or find me the closest Starbucks, Peets or... hell... a McCafe.

http://www.kingcar.com.tw/en/products/ProductList.aspx?cid=10&scid=36


Product of Taiwan
King Car Food Ind. Co., Ltd.
Taipei, Taiwan
Reg. No. 5448220102

No comments: