Monday, February 14, 2011

Prometheus Springs - Pomegranate Black Pepper

In my quest of trying new things, while at the beloved store known as Whole Foods, I was buying snacks for a movie marathon my friends and I were having. 

(Back to the Future Trilogy = awesome sauce!)

While cruising the aisles (I had decided upon a chip and dip sort of contribution), I picked up some beverages for myself... one of which being this bottle that at a side glance looks like Snapple, but alas it was something new.

While the bottle shape is the same, the contents are definitely not.

I think I've previously stated my affinity toward all things pomegranate. If there's pomegranate in it, I'll usually try it.  Plus it's everywhere nowadays due it's anti-oxidant value.  But for me, I just like it because it's yummy.

And this drink was no exception.  
Of the three flavors available (the other two being Lemon Ginger and Lychee Wasabi), Pomegranate Black Pepper seemed to be the obvious (safest) choice to start out with.

I had taken it with me the next day to work, and whipped it out in lieu of my morning cup of coffee.  At first I took a tentative sip (seeing as black pepper has a way of creeping up on you, causing you to hack worse than a first time smoker), and immediately I tasted the sweetness of the pomegranate with an interesting aftertaste of black pepper.  It wasn't to strong yet if you weren't prepared for it, it could take you by surprise.
Translation: Do not do shots of this drink.

This drink lasted me a long time since the pepper (at least for me) prevents it from being a "gulping" type of beverage.  I was sipping it more like a tea, and I must say the oddest thing happened - I stayed awake.  Now I'm still not clear as to if it was the drink or perhaps I happened to get more sleep that night than other nights, but I feel like it made a difference.

Per the bottle, the drink is advertised as a "Capsaicin Spiced Elixir".  Now being someone trying to learn to eat spicier foods, my brain sees capsaicin and thinks hot-mutha-frakker.

Taken from the label:

Capsaicin (cap-say-sin): Nature's Spicy Superfood

Extracted from chilli peppers, this spicy antioxidant is colorless, odourless and delightfully painful.  Its kick as the curious ability to trigger the unique sensation of a happy, natural high.

And I must say, it did just that.

I had picked the Black Pepper flavor seeing as it's a much nicer "spice" to me other than Ginger or Wasabi.  When drinking it, however, I could see how it could bowl someone sensitive or inexperienced with any sort of heat-spice within their food or drink.  I was pleasantly content at the fact that not only was it not too powerfully spicy for me, but that I liked it.
Examining the label further, I saw that it also said the drink was Naturally Sweetened, Gluten Free, and Preservative Free.

Words like that cause doubt to stir a bit in my head and lead me to check out the ingredients.

Ingredients: filtered water, organic evaporated cain juice, organic lemon juice concentrate, natural pomegranate black pepper flavour, sea salt, capsaicin extract

So this drink that I was consuming that possibly was help keeping me awake during the day at work was not only tasty but was comprised of organic and natural ingredients?  

I was drinking healthy.

Stop the presses.  I think we have a winner here.
 
I'm still going to test some things out, but to have something that is slightly healthier for you than coffee (though it does nothing for keeping me awake but is still rather tasty and will continue to be consumed by yours truly) or energy drinks - that just makes me happy.

Hmmm, thinking things sound too good to be true, it was on to nutritional facts.
Like with the energy drink I posted about previously, the bottle I was drinking was 16 fl oz, and of course a serving size is 8 fl oz.  (Portions like that make me wonder why they don't make things in "serving sizes".)  So through the course of the day, I drank two helpings of my lovely capsaicin elixir, each serving costing me 80 calories (160 total).

Sounds reasonable to me.

Additional directions on the label were Refrigerate after opening (that's a given), Do not microwave or heat bottle (that's a bit of a no-brainer, too), and my personal favorite Please remember to recycle this bottle.

I think my favorite part on the label was the "Ways to enjoy":
  • Serve neat for maximum spice
  • Serve warm and get well soon
  • Serve chilled for a refreshing kick
  • Mix with spirits and libations
  • Serve on the rocks to tame the spice
  • Spice up meals with gourmet pairings
Admittedly, the mixing option intrigues me, but I think I'll save that for when I'm with friends.

I went back to the store yesterday to grab some dinner as well as some more drink.  Not feeling to keen on the ginger just yet, I bought another bottle of  Pomegranate Black Pepper as well as a bottle of Lychee Wasabi.

*contented sigh* Wasabi makes me think of sushi which is yummy.

Yeah, it's about lunch time.  LOL!

I plan on trying a little warmed up just to see what it's like.  Also, I'm feeling a little under the weather, so the "get well soon" part of the suggestion leaves me feeling hopeful.

Would I ever try this again?  Did you not just read that I bought two more bottles?  *grin*  So I think the answer to that question is an affirmative "HELLS" to the "YEAH!!!".  (They also seem to be coming out with other flavors.  I can't wait to see what they are and try them out.)


And really, who would not want to try a drink that advertises like this (they're called mood shots, but still... and pomegranate is still my favorite):
Lychee and Wasabi
Lemon and Ginger

Pomegranate and Black Pepper
Capsaicin Elixir of the Underworld, baby!

http://www.prometheussprings.com/flavors/pomegranateblackpepper/

Share your experience
toll free 1-877-60-SPICY
facebook.com/drinkpromtheus

Discovering the Power of Spice

We at Prometheus Springs encourage you to research and explore the wonders of capsaicin and the rich history that surrounds it.  Search online and uncover the many health benefits attributed to a life rich in spice.

Made in the USA for Prometheus Springs, LLC.
Certified organic.

No comments: