Friday, February 11, 2011

Jones Soda Co. Energy - Extra Strength Energy Drink


So while gassing up the car last night on my way to my friends place to listen to our friends' show Dusty's World, I checked out the mini-mart for anything that caught my eye.  I was feeling adventurous (well, as adventurous as one can get in a gas station mini-mart the size of a walk-in closet).

Most of the racks had the staples of any gas station food supply: chips, gum, candy.  More of a selection than I would have guessed but really nothing popped out at me as needing to purchased, taken away and devoured.

See, even though I like trying new things, I am also for 2011 (Holla!) am trying to eat better in an attempt to lose weight and get rid of my mid-section since it makes me never want to look at myself in mirror naked (and sometimes, sadly, that is unavoidable).  In any case, my hate of most reflective surfaces aside, I made my round to the register seeing even if I didn't find anything snackage, I would at least PAY for my gas. 

On an impulse, I bought a bag of Trolli gummy watermelon rings with the yogurt-type coating on one side.  (I have a weakness for gummy candies... though I'm particular about which ones.)  On my way to the register, I looked in the cooler and saw the various sodas and teas and energy drinks (which dominated the top shelves of the coolers as if to say "I shit on you juice and soda for I am King!")

Yeah, don't ask where that came from.  I have no idea.

In the cooler closest to the register was a tall orange can with black flames coming up from the bottom.  Out of mild curiosity, I took a closer look and saw that it was a "Jones Soda Co." product (and me likes Jones Soda).  I opened the cooler, grabbed the can (which was sitting next to the little bottle of ZipFizz that I also purchased) and brought both beverages and bag o' gummy candy to the register, paid for them and my fuel, and eventually left the gas station.

The Trolli bag was empty within seconds (let's hear it for the chunky Flip sista!), but I left both energy drinks in the car since I would be taking them with me today and my car was as good a fridge as any seeing as it's been cold at night lately.

Not having a satisfactory amount of sleep before having to arise from my peaceful slumber (hmmm, what was it... four hours or less?... I'm thinking less), I took both drinks with me and began to suckle the Jones drink like I was a newborn babe hungering for her mother's...

I really should stop talking sometimes.

In perusing the can of energy, I found this little statement on the side:

"The last thing the world needs is another energy drink, so here's one more.  We've jacked up a full on energy drink just the way you asked.  If you like it, buy more.  If you love it, pass it on.  Thanks for your support and please recycle the can."

I thought it was funny since yeah, we are TOTALLY saturated with energy drinks (none of which truly help me... I just drink them with the hopes that they might one day... and also some of them I like the flavor).  I also like the little nod to recycle.  Yay!

Then there was this part below it:

Caution

Consume responsibly.  Limit 2 Cans Per Day.  Not recommended for children, pregnant women or persons sensitive to caffeine.

I cracked open a can and the sound brought me back to my childhood when my father and his compatriots (made of his friends and family) would pull the tabs back on cans of Budweiser.  It's a much different hiss than when you pop the top off a bottle or unscrew a cap.  Beer is my natural 'go-to' memory when I hear a can being crack-a-dacked open.

Anyway, like with most energy drinks these days, there was no flavor listed but usually by assumption since the can is orange, the beverage within will be orange-tasting in nature.  (And it was.)

Energy drinks (like with revenge) are best served cold.  A warm energy drink tastes like ass.  (Trust me.  Even though I haven't actually dropped someone's trow and got all up in their derriere business, I'm sure no one's back end tastes like rainbows else the phrase "tastes like ass" would be used in a much better connotation.)

Moving on...

So in the office this morning, I sampled the juice of said canned goodness, its orangey flavour not tasting like ass at all.  I didn't even experience the usual caffeine/energy drink aftertaste you get when sucking down one of these beverages.

Let me share some other interesting bits about this drink with you.

First of all, it's a tall can so it's 4.73mL (or 16 fl oz).  That's all well and good until I get to the nutritional information where it states that the serving size is 8 fl oz.  Immediately my head does the math and realizes one serving is half the can.  Knowing quite well I will be finishing the can of all its liquid assets, I think "Woo hoo!  I'm drinking for two... or simply just two servings.  LOL!" 

I momentarily felt piggish but hey, I was raised to finish my plate (or in this case, can?).

Anyway, further nutritional information says that there are 120 calories per serving (which my automatic math deduces that I have consumed 240).

Oink-frakkin'-oink, bitches!

Leaving my ability to consume mass quantities aside, I surfed the net for other information to add to this post (website, etc), and while doing an image search of the can, I found a differently designed can (all black with red and silver designs).   

My image search also came up with images of WhoopAss (as in "don't make me open a can of-").  I actually had one a while back.  From what I remember, it was tart and yellow with a little Asian dude on the red and white can.  Also... I didn't get to it in time so it was a little on the warm side when I downed it.  Thank gawd it was a small can.  (Ick!)

When I found the Jones Soda Co. site, I searched for the energy drinks.  They were promoting WhoopAss still (in a new can that made me think of American Choppers), and just below it, I saw the drink that I had just consumed under the heading of "retired".

WTFrak?!?!?!

Oh well, it tasted good (as long as the can lasted, anyway).

Would I ever try this again? Sure... if it wasn't "retired", and I could actually find a can.  It would be on the list of the energy drinks that I wouldn't mind imbibing (which is a much shorter list than the ones I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot-pole.)

http://www.jonessoda.com/files_4/products-energy.php
www.jonessoda.com

No comments: