Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Lay's Chips - Southern Biscuits and Gravy & New York Reuben

So I'm trying to be a good girl and lose some weight. Not because I want to be anorexically thin. I know my body and know its shape, and that ain't ever gonna happen, y'all - mmmkay? Even if I wanted it - which I don't.

I have been rather proud of myself. I'll go to the store to pick up a few things, and I'll come across that impulsively want - like cheese or bread or something. But I've been good about walking way, reasoning with myself "Do I really want or need that?"

If you happened by me while I'm at the store, you might see me talking to myself. "Nope... you don't need anymore cheese. You have those two small blocks at home. You can get some later when you run out." That kind of thing.

There is also the whole "talking myself out of sweets" self-chat. I am amazed at the levels of NO I tell myself on a regular basis. Admittedly I will indulge in some kind of splurge like for ice cream or something, but I've also been good with "No... just a couple bites. You don't have to devour the whole thing in one sitting."

The fact that I'm listening to myself is MIND BLOWING!

One day while shopping for my oatmeal fixings (See? Healthy!), I went down the chip aisle and saw some Larry the Cable Guy's Biscuits & Gravy Chips. Now I love me some chips (PMS loves the salty goodness, and I just love chips and dip in general). I also love biscuits and gravy. But the bag was like $5.00, and I wasn't willing to spend that on something that I would most likely not enjoy. (Just had a feeling.) Still I was curious.

Fast forward to this past week when I was running errands with Jessie F. We did our thing and were heading back to her place and stopped by the store for dinner things when I walked right past some chips display extravaganza. And what did I find? Lay's Chips - 2/$5.00. And one of the flavors was biscuits and gravy.

Now the Lay's bags were a bit bigger than Larry's chip bags, and I could get two for the price of one of his. So I let it sit as we shopped for dinner.

I had completely forgot Lay's was doing the whole "Do Us A Flavor" again. This time around, the flavors are tastier. Granted I only had two so far, but still. In the same section of the display as the biscuits and gravy were the New York Reuben chips. Later at the end of our shopping spree, I decided to go back for the chips. Walking up in the opposite direction, the other side of the display had a third flavor - Greek Gyro (or something along those lines). Jessie was behind me, so I turned and asked her, "Reubens or gyros?" Loving the former, she immediately said REUBEN, and that was done.

Per our normal ritual, we ate, made cocktails and then sat on her couch to chit chat the night away. Me being me, before food, I whipped out the chips, opening biscuits and gravy first. DEAR GAWD! I love those things. I smelled the bag, and you could smell the faint scent of the breakfast treat, but once you bite into the chip? Dude. Lovely.

We ate a couple of those before I set that bag aside and opened the reuben bag. The smell from this bag was spot on sandwich goodness. The flavor was there, but we agreed it smelled more like the sandwich than it tasted.

The general consensus was that the biscuits and gravy won by a bit more, but the reuben bag was still pretty tasty. I am quite surprised in my current PMS "I want to eat everything covered in chocolate and salt" state that I didn't devour both bags completely, but I managed to display some willpower. Both flavors are quite addicting. Jessie would forget she was eating them and eventually push the bag to me begging me to take them away from her. In the end, I put them away, the bags and our friendship still in tact.

Willpower, people. The fact that I can control cravings while I'm PMS'ing the frak out?  Proof magic exists.

Well done Hailey Green (Southern Biscuits & Gravy) and Jeff Solensky (New York Reuben) with the help of Lay's. Y'all made some great chips.

Would I Ever Try This Again?: I say "yes". My PMS says "HELLS YEAH!!!"

https://www.dousaflavor.com/

No comments: