Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Curry Donut

Yummy picture courtesy of a Google search.

What?  That can't be!  Since April?  Two months without a new thing?  Oh frak me.

Let me fix that right now, shall I?

Okay, so here's the story...

A short while ago (let's say a month at the most?) my friend Jess wanted to have a "ladies who lunch" day.  She and her man Wes live near this area of Mountain View which is nothing but restaurants, shops, etc.  So she sent out the invite to me, her best girl Dawn, and our other friend Diana... who brought her boyfriend Kevin (my Asian brutha from another mutha) along.

So it was Ladies Who Lunch... and Kevin.  LOL!

We walked from their condo to the street of goodness and while on our way looking for a place to actually lunch, we passed the Hong Kong Bakery and Jess said she promised Wes (who was back at home sleeping since he had to work that night) that she'd get him a pork bun.

That's when I noticed the sign by the door that said they now had CURRY DONUTS!

We hit the bakery toward the end of our day's excursion.  They were a cash only establishment, and I just had my card on me, so I vowed that I'd just come back and get my currylicious donutty extravaganza at a later date.

That later date was today, my lovelies!

This morning I freshened up, hit the bank, then later the DMV.  After the store to get some toiletries (shampoo, Q-tips and the like), I treated myself to lunch and then donated blood.  (I know, I'm awesome, but please... praise me after you're done reading this blog post.)  LOL!

On the way home, I was driving toward/past the area of town in which the donut of choice was located so I thought "Why not?"

I walked into the bakery having a visual orgy with all the pastries I grew up with (most of which I love).  But I arrived with a purpose.  So while basking in the lovely caress of their air-conditioning, I perused the case for my treats.  Eventually I had to ask, and she pointed them out to me.  Along with a couple extra treats, I got what I came for.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: CURRY DONUT ACQUIRED!!!

And there was much rejoicing.  (insert happy dancing here)

Now per the picture I found via my wonderful pal Google, I must say the picture doesn't really do it justice but looks closest to what I got.

When I pulled the tasty treat out of the bag, it made me think of the Krispy Kreme Cheeseburgers (of which there are variants on them).

I saw on the Food Network one day.  Yes, they are exactly what they sound like they are... and yes, I am curious to try one (minus the cheese, but hells yeah to the bacon!)

They also reminded me of bierocks which are essentially the same thing more or less.

Okay, the donut.  The outside is this sweet, fluffy, kind of glazed bread and is about the size of a jelly-filled donut: round and plump.  And then I took a bite.

What did I think?

Holy Oh My Gawd with a obscenely gargantuan side order of Amaze-o-sauce!!!

When the woman had pulled the donut from the case, the sign said "vegetarian only" so when I got a mouthful of veggies, I wasn't surprised.  The curry sauce, however, did surprise me since I was expecting something spicier.  My experience with curry since I don't do HOT food really well is me asking about the spicy factor and then asking them to make mine mild.  This donut's filling was flavorful and pleasantly not spicy.

For a filling treat, I spent a buck and some change and really wish I had bought more.  So yumsciously tasty! 

Would I ever try this again?  Did you not see the word "Amaze-o-sauce"?  In case you need me to translate that, it means HELLS YEAH!!!
 
Hong Kong Bakery 
210 Castro St
Mountain View, CA 94041(650) 969-3153

No comments: